Chapter 4

A breeze swepted over the Valley, carrying with it dried leaves of different shades of red and brown. Snufkin toke his pot from his tent and set it on the campfire. Smoke rised from his pipe that clutched between his teeth and he through some vegetables into his soup.

The days had grown colder and Snufkin had grown more distant, even if he didn't mean to. The Valley was a place of comfort for him, a place where all his friends were and where he was always welcome and the place where he had made some of his best memories. But he also valued his freedom and found it terrifing to be tied done, and to be attach something, some where, someone.

"You know what Moomin?" asked Snufkin.

It had been almost two years ago now since they had had this conversation, yet he still replayed it in his mind.

"What?" asked Moomintroll eagerly.
Snufkin picked at the decaying grass.
"If it weren't for you, I don't think I would return to Moomin Valley every year."
"Really, do you mean that?"

Snufkin gazed off, a distant look in his brown eyes. "Yes of course I mean it. I've never felt the need to stay in one place for long, including my old home."

"But for some reason, I feel obligated to stay."

"You don't have to stay," said Moomin, but their how sad look in his eyes, "No one making you stay."

But Snufkin knew that wasn't true. At least not entirely. Because even though Moomin reassured him that, he could come and go, that he didn't mind. But his eyes were always black with disappointment.

The flames lepted higher, the smell of cooking vegetables intered Snufkin's nostrils. But Snufkin had lost his appetite, and the soup smelt disgusting.

Birds tweeted, crickets chirped, the wind whistled, the river rushed past, the sound of nearby beasts chatting filled his ears, and it was all too much.
Why did he bother staying here?

....

"Hey Snufkin!"

Ah, that was why.

"Do you want to come down to the beach with us?" asked Moomin. Snufkin shook his. "Oh come on please, you've been staring at the fire for an hour now."

Had it really been that?

Snufkin sighed, but smiled, "Alright."

🐌

The freezing sea air bit at Snufkin's skin and he buried his face in his yellow scarf. Autumn has both his favourite and least favourite time of the year. Moomintroll walked up to him, clutching something in his hands. "What have you got there, Dove?"

Oh god, did he really just say that?

Moomintroll either didn't care or didn't hear. "It's a shell, isn't it pretty?"
It was pretty and Snufkin held it up to his ear. "It sounds like the ocean."
"Yes! So that means that even if your miles away from the ocean you'll be able to hear it," Moomin grinned.

Snufkin blushed as he put the shell in his pocket. Snufkin hoped the booble that Moomin did not see.

"H-Here, have this," stuttered Snufkin, handing Moomin a bone that had been sitting in his pocket for a month now. To anyone else this would be a mockery of gift, but Moomin beamed from ear to ear. "Thanks!"

"What are you two lovestruck fools doing?" asked Little My, appearing out of nowhere. "What do you mean?" asked both of them at the same time. Little My scoffed and rolled her eyes.

🐌

That night Snufkin looked at his cards. Oh dear, thought Snufkin.

How was he going to tell Moomin about this?

🐌

I think this is the longest chapter in this book so far. Maybe even the longest I've ever written.

Anyway this book won't be super long, so I only have a few more chapters to go until I get to the end of the book. I'll try to publish at least one chapter per week, although I can't promise anything.

Bye!