Chapter 10

Moomin fell ill after Snufkin's early departure. He had a snuffly nose and a terrible headache that kept inching it's way into being a migraine, and then back into a normal one again. He also could not find the energy to get out of bed to even wash, and had no appetite too.

Moominmama pushed the door open. She was carrying a tray and placed it on Moomin's nightstand, before sitting down. From where Moomin was he could see a vile of medicine, a bowl of soup and a glass of water. "I had to go to the witch to yet some of the ingredients for the medicine," she said matter-of-factly, "Make sure to eat your soup before it goes cold."

Moomintroll sat up and placed the bowl on his knees. It was Grandma's vegetables soup. "Do you want me to leave you be?" asked Moominmama, kindly. Moomin nodded (if you could even call it that) and Moominmama closed the door behind her.

🦊

It was two days later and Moomin had gotten better. Although not by much. If they were to go off Moominpapa's estimates (which mind you weren't always right) then the first snow would be on Thursday. And since today was Monday that would mean it was only... four days away.

Only four days away? thought Moomin. Oh how time flied by. It seemed like only a day ago that Moomin had just woken up from hibernation and was waiting for Snufkin. But now Snufkin had left and the Moomin family and all their friends would settle down for their long winter's nap in only four days. Four... four...four. The word seemed to rattle around in Moomin's fuzzy, white head. How was that a number could seem so different, depending on the word you placed after it. Four days seemed like the blink of an eye, while four months seemed like an  eternity. (Although really you would think that it would be the opposite, considering that Moomin would be asleep for them.)

Moomintroll could smell something cooking downstairs and so he wrapped a blanket around his shoulders, and made his way down the two flights of stairs into the living room. He was greeted by Little My and the Snorkmaiden, who seemed to be scrapbooking together. Snorkmaiden turned a pale yellow colour when she gazed up at him. "Hi Moomintroll, you feeling better?" asked Snorkmaiden. "Of course he is, he was just being dramatic," said Little My, picking up a piece of yellow fabric. Moomin decided to ignore her, instead he asked what was cooking. "Moominmama is making pumpkin soup and poppy seed rolls," said Snorkmaiden, pasting in a glittery string.

They all sat round the Moomins' table. Moomin picked the poppy seeds off his bread roll absent-mindedly. The shutters on the window clattered open and a cool breeze swept through the kitchen. "Winter's definitely here," said Moominpapa.

🦊

Moominpapa's estimation had been correct. Moomintroll layed in his bed, his belly full of pine needles. White snowflakes fell outside the window from white, fluffy clouds. Moominmama walked into Moomin's room to close the windows.  "Mama, do you ever think about the fact that we waste an awfully long amount of time, when we hibernate?" asked Moomintroll. Moominmama considered this, before walking over to Moomin's bed, "No, I don't think so dear," she walked over to Moomin's bed and began tucking in the duvet into the mattress, "After all, winter is awfully long and terribly cold. No good for a Moomin."
"I suppose you're right," said Moomintroll, sleepily. He pulled to blanket over his ears as he heard Moominmama walk over to the door.

"See you in the spring dear?"

"See you in the spring Mama."

🦊

...