Chapter 5

Today was an important day. At least it was for Moomin. For today was Snufkin's birthday. And he and his friends and family were going to host a surprise birthday party for Snufkin.

A few years ago they had talked, about this very topic. Moomintroll had been taken aback by Snufkin's indifference to this celebration. And so ever since the he had been planning a massive celebration for Snufkin's eighteenth birthday.

They (being Moomintroll, Moominmama, Moominpapa, Sniff and Little My. The Snork and Snorkmaiden had gone a short visit to their granpa's house, and would be back by November.) were all stood in the living room. Moominpapa pulled Moomin's birthday plan book from the bookshelf.

"Now, let's see here," said Moominpapa, opening up his book, "Me and Mama will put up the decorations, Sniff and Little My can bake the cake, and Moomin you go distract Snufkin, ok?"

They all agreed and got to work. Moomin made his way over to Snufkin's campsite, which was empty. Instead he found him skimming stones along the river. Well, at least trying to. The stones just sunk down to the bottom. "Hey Snuf, do you wanna go on a walk?" asked Moomintroll.
"Sure, it's not like I have anything else to do," replied Snufkin.
"Wonderful! We can go out walking all day if you like -- w-well maybe not all day. I think that my legs may fall off."

Snufkin chuckled, and Moomin turned pink with admiration. It sounded like a rumble of thunder, and a Magpie's song at same time. It was like budding flowers and raspberries, but it was also decaying leaves and freezing cold snow all at the same time.

"Let's go then," said Snufkin and the two of them began the hike.

🐌

"Is that the police station?" asked Moomintroll. Snufkin nodded and the two of them climbed up the tree, to sit within the foliage. From up there they could see a police officer talking to a Mymble and her two children. It seemed like she had stolen some food to feed them.

"Do you think she's your sister?" asked Moomintroll. Snufkin shrugged, "Perhaps. Anything's possible." Snufkin opened the back pocket of bag and was amazed to see that it had been filled with lots of stones and pebbles, all varying in size. So that's why it was so heavy thought Moomin.

Snufkin took one of the grey obres and held it carefully in his hand. "Aim for the cop," he whispered, before lobbing it at the officer. The pebble whistled through, and then made contact with the police officer. The officer turned round, a black eye forming around his own.

The two began throwing at the police, trees and walls, but all the while avoiding the Mymble and her two children. Snufkin slung the bag over his shoulder, and, to Moomin's amazement, leaped down fearlessly from a great height, a landed on his feet. Moomintroll shimmed down the tree. All while Snufkin laughed his magpie laugh.

🐌

It was dark by the time they neared the bridge. "Do you mind if I go ahead?" asked Moomin. "Sure," said Snufkin.

Moomin rushed off behind the back of the house, through the cellar door and snuck in. He found everyone hiding in living room. He hid himself between the blue sofa and armchair.

A few moments passed before the door creaked open. Moominmama, who had been standing near the light switch, turned lamp on and they all jumped out of the hiding spots to greet the vagabond.

"SURPRISE!" they all cried.

Snufkin looked bewildered a second, before a weak smile began to form on his lips. "Isn't it great Snuf? We made a giant carrot cake, and lots of presents and there will be music and dancing and games. And we've even invited the Mymble and her kiddies and it will be great!" exclaimed Moomin excitedly.

Something about 'Mymble and her kiddies' made Snufkin freeze up, going pale.  "Sun-Snufkin?" Moomin asked, concerned. "I-I have to go."

And with that Snufkin turned on his heels and fled.

🐌

It was either that Snufkin walked particularly fast or Moomin had short legs.

Either way, when Moomin reached the campsite there was no sign of Snufkin, and everything had been cleared away, apart from the remnants of the fire.

"Snufkin, I know your there. Please talk to me," Moomin crouched down beside the tent and picked at the dying grass in front of him. "Go away," mumbled Snufkin, his voice catching.
"Oh come on, please come back," Moomin said. "I don't want to go back to that god forsaken house! And you tell Moominpapa to cancel your plans with the Mymble and her demon spawn."
"Oh don't worry, we already have." Moomin answered reassuringly.

It could have an lifetime or five seconds before Moomin spoke again.

"Listen I have an idea. I'll come back later, yeah?"

No reply.

🐌

Me: Listening to birds in the middle of night to see which one sounds like Snufkin.

Yes I have lost my mind.