Chapter 8

Tap, tap, tap!

Moomin turned round away from the tapping noise, and burying his nose in  a thick, woolen blanket. It had been hailing for almost ten minutes now and wished he could wish the bad weather away. He wished he turn the clocks back and go back to the beginning of spring, when he had just woken up and was waiting impatiently for Snufkin to return.

Tap, tap, tap!

Oh why on earth wouldn't that tapping noise stop? If the hail continued any longer then all the windows would be smashed.

And then the tapping stopped. Thank goodness, thought Moomintroll, burying his snout in his blanket and closed his eyes. But after a few minutes another sound started. But this time it was more pleasant like a magpie's song.

Birdsong?

No it couldn't be. It was too late for birds, and much too early as well. Moomin attempted listen to song, lifting his head up slightly. It was a harmonica... A harmonica!

Snufkin!

Moomin rushed over to window, pulled open the curtains and flung open the window. He climbed down the old rope ladder that hung from his window. When he landed on his grass he was greeted Snufkin, who was putting his harmonica back in is pocket, smiling his gape-tooth smile. He was wearing his green hat with an orangish-red feather attached, a yellow scarf and his olive coloured dress. Nothing had changed about him. Oh, but of course Snufkin was perfect in everyway.

Moomintroll collapsed into Snufkin's arms, sobbing his eyes out. "Woah, Woah, Moomin are you alright?" asked the green-clad mumrik. "Oh, Snufkin, I thought you had left! I thought you were angry at me," Moomintroll fiddled with edge of Snufkin's witch-like hat. Snufkin took a hold of Moomin's pale paw in his own and smiled, making a very specific type of warmth spread through him. "Come on, I want to show you something."

🍄

Oh it was a beautiful sight, in a charmingly odd way. Snufkin had ladded a old, moth bitten blanket out on the grass with an arrangement of snacks. There was leftover blueberry pancakes, a jar of strawberry jam, a tin of oat and honey biscuits, roasted peanuts and green lemonade.

The two sat and ate until they were stuffed. When their stomachs had settled they decided to dance. It happened seemingly all in one go. Snufkin brought the harmonica to his lips and began to play a fast paced tune. The two danced a clumsy jankka, tails getting in the way. But neither of them cared. "Snufkin?" asked Moomintroll. Snufkin tilted his head to the side slightly. Moomin said, "Can I tell you something?" Snufkin stopped playing, indicating for him to continue. "Well, I've liked you for a while now. Every moment I'm with you it feels like I have butterflies in my stomach. Whenever we're away I wish you so much it hurts."

Snufkin paused, thinking for a moment. He smiled, "Yes, I feel the same way. Although can't quite express it as well as you did."

The two looked into each others eyes and Snufkin took off his hat and kissed Moomin on nose.

"Moomin..."

"Hmm?"

"I'm leaving Moomin Valley tomorrow."

🍄

To be continued...