Chapter 10: New Friends (Arc 2)

Arc 2

Fun Study Sessions

The sun was shining warm this morning. The cold water washed my fur as I rubbed the shampoo over my body. Since my current body was covered by fur, we used shampoo as body soap here. The maintenance was more complicated than human skin, but it was worth it.

After showering, I wiped my head in front of the mirror with a towel. My body felt refreshed after taking a shower in the morning. I looked at my reflection. A dog with sky blue eyes stared back at me. I smiled at my reflection, moved closer to the mirror, and examined my look with pride. The black and tan fur looked shiny and healthy while the gray part around my right eye and ear looked unique. Even though prejudice towards mixed-breed existed, I was very pleased with my appearance. Let those racist furries bark as they want.

After putting on clothes, I went downstairs to the dining room to have breakfast. The dining room was filled with the aroma of cooking and coffee. Arthur was busy reading the newspaper while Jeremy was preparing the food in the kitchen.

Jeremy is a pure bohemian shepherd, while Arthur is a wolfdog with fur as gray as my spot. Even if it was obvious, I was pleased how the two of them took part in my appearance.

"Good morning mom. Good morning dad." I greeted them.

"Good morning sweetheart/son." (Jeremy & Arthur)

I sat on the chair and watched TV while waiting for breakfast. The morning program showed news about the National High School Academic Science Championship. The first place got quite a sum of money as the prize. Man, it must be nice to be smart.

I was focusing my attention on the tv when Arthur put down his coffee with unusual force. As I looked at him, he held the newspaper untidily with a sigh.

Uh-oh, sighing in the morning like this usually isn't a good sign. I could kinda guess what was on his mind right now, but I decided to ask anyway.

"What's wrong dad? Did something happen?"

He looked at me and tried his best to hide his wrinkles with a smile.

"It's okay, son. There's nothing you need to worry about."

"Is that so?"

"Yes. It's just," He massaged his temple, looks kinda tired. "There were a lot of things that happened in my workplace in the past week. You could say we've become more busy nowadays."

I look at the older canines with pity before glancing at the newspaper headline.

[The Perpetrator of Mysterious Data Theft in Comptroo Company Has Yet to be Identified]

[Last week, The Comptroo Company's database was robbed by an as of now unknown perpetrator. It was believed that some important data had been stolen. The company hasn't released any statement related to this incident and insists on holding a private investigation.]

"The perpetrator hasn't been captured, have they?" Jeremy put pancakes on their plate as she took part in the conversation. "The wives of the neighborhood talk about it almost every day. It has already been a hot topic for the past week."

"Yes. I wonder who was bold enough to do such a thing."

I was almost choked by my milk. Well, I knew this would become a big deal, and I already prepared for that. But hearing it from the two of them didn't stop me from being guilty. I wonder if I went too far.

"But I would praise him for this." Arthur raised his chin and folded his arms. "I became sick with how they exploited me lately. They didn't even listen to my request for reducing my work hours. Maybe it's a good time to resign and find a new job."