Chapter 1 - Oscar - Life Choices -

- Chapter 1 - Oscar - Life Choices -
Warning: Abuse, Beating Up
Third Person POV

Oscar leans his head in his hands, his elbows on a stack of newspapers, and his chin resting on his hands.

He was just watching the Newsies. He was supposed to be counting papes, but Morris was doing that for him.

"Bored, Delancey?" Racetrack Higgins asks him, standing in front of him, his right hand on his right him, and his left hand holding his pape bag.

The attitude in his stance made Oscar blush a little bit. Race had been Oscar's crush for some time.

"Wanna change that Racer?" Oscar asks him, winking at the dirty blonde haired boy.

Race's bright blue eyes widen, and he looks away from Oscar, trying not to show the blush on his face.

Race also had had a crush on Oscar for some time, which frustrated Race, as Oscar was hated by all of the Newsies.

The more Race talked to/saw Oscar, the harder he fell, even if he didn't want to.

"Ey! Racer! You coming?!" Jack calls to his second, breaking the silence between the other two boys. Race nods at Jack.

"See ya around, Oscar" Race mumbles, walking away from him. Oscar smirks, shaking his head at the younger boy.

"See ya Racer" Oscar responds, whispering. He saw Race look at Oscar, and smile a little bit. His smile made Oscar want to melt into a puddle of happiness.

Oscar smiles back at Race, and sees Race blush a little bit more.

Even if Race didn't have a crush on him, because that was super unlikely, it made Oscar happy.

Oscar had known Race since he had become a Newsie. Race was 7 and Oscar was 8. Oscar is only 7 months older than Race.

Now, Oscar had just turned 16, and Race is 15, and will be 16 in December.

Oscar had only started living in Wiesel's house 5 months before Race had joined the Newsies.

Oscar watches at Jack Kelly, the fearless leader of the Manhattan Newsies, gets all of them gathered up and shouts to "carry the banner", and they all disperse to their selling spots.

"Come on rats, you have work to do. Snyder is waiting for you at the Refuge" Wiesel tells them, snapping a bit. He throws a newspaper at Oscar, who holds his head where the paper hit.

Oscar mentally groans, as Wiesel walks away, laughing at Oscar and Morris. Oscar hates working at the Refuge.

"Come on Oscar. We gotta go" Morris tells him, glaring at Wiesel, who disappears into the house.

"I know. I hate working in the Refuge though. Those poor kids. They hate us, and they don't even know why we beat them up. That we know what it feels like" Oscar sighs, looking back at the empty distribution center.

"I know Oscar. I know. Once I turn 18, we'll get out of here. I promise" Morris responds, holding Oscar's hands in his own. Oscar nods, not meeting Morris' eyes. "Come on, look at me Osc."