Chapter 3 - Oscar - Getting Confronted -

- Chapter 3 - Oscar - Getting Confronted -
Warning: Mentions of Soaking
Third Person POV

Race was still on Oscar's mind, when he was out walking later in the day.

It was night, again, which kinda reminded him of Race all over again.

He was just out, again enjoying the view of the city at night, as he feels like no one really does take the time to do that, so he will for them.

Look at Oscar, doing things so other people don't have to. You're welcome everyone, Oscar laughs to himself.

Even with Spot telling Oscar that Race liked him, Oscar still didn't believe it. He had seen Race flirt with a ton of girls.

Race deserved one of them, not Oscar. Plus, there is no way that any of Race's "brothers" would be okay with them dating, no matter what Oscar's story was.

Race... Race. Race! He was all Oscar could think about. Darn this cute boy.

Oscar smacks his head with his hands a few times. He had fallen so hard for Race, that it was annoying at this point.

Then, he felt someone grab him by the shoulders, and pull him.

He was flung into an alleyway, just barely being able to gain balance and not fall down to the ground or hit something.

Dang, people really don't care about me, do they?

He put his hands up ready to fight, and looked up. He stopped when he saw who pulled him into the alley.

There, in front of him, stood Jack, arms crossed. Albert, arms also crossed, and to the left of Jack. Spot, facepalming, to the right of Jack. JoJo, Specs, and Elmer behind Jack.

"Talk about an eventful day" Oscar mumbles. Spot holds back a chuckle. Jack glares at Spot.

"You saved Race?" Elmer questions, stepping up in front of Jack, who tries to stop him.

Elmer's voice sounds innocent and soft to Oscar.

Oscar let's himself relax a bit so he doesn't seem so tense and tough. "I'm sorry" He mumbles, his voice soft.

Oscar fiddles with his bandana and looks at the ground, avoiding their gaze.

"Why are you apologizing? We should be thanking you!" Elmer exclaims, running and giving Oscar a hug. Jack and Oscar's eyes go wide.

Spot puts his hand in front of Jack to stop Jack from doing something stupid.

Oscar tenses up for a minute, not used to hugs, before relaxing into Elmer's hug.

"How are you older than me, but more innocent?" Oscar mumbles. Spot, Jack, Albert, JoJo, and Specs chuckle.

"You grew up in a horrible environment. Elmer did also, but for less time, and when he came to us, we kept him innocent. Or, Crutchie did" Albert explains, and the other boys nod.

"Well, Oscar isn't as tough as he seems." Spot informs them. Oscar glares at him. "He is innocent and silly when he relaxes with people."

"Conlon, you are dead if you say another word" Oscar threatens. Spot chuckles.

"I don't think you could take me down, and your brother wouldn't be very happy if I died" Spot responds, winking at Oscar, who laughs.

"Wait, how do you know that I 1. saved Race, and 2. live in a bad home environment and grew up in one?" Oscar asks, looking between the Newsies standing in front of him.

Elmer goes back over to Specs and JoJo, as all of the Newsies avoid Oscar's gaze.

"Albert had heard you when you were talking to Morris, and he found me halfway to the Lodging House, and hid on one of the top bunks when we talked" Spot informs Oscar, still not making eye contact with him. Oscar sighs.

"Course" Oscar mumbles, now looking down, and fiddling with his bandana again.

"Why did you save him?" Jack asks Oscar, who looks at him.

"Who wouldn't? What those boys were doing weren't right, they could've killed him" Oscar responds, looking Jack in the eyes.

Oscar could see the concern for Race and the confusion/skepticism in his eyes.

"You do the same thing" Jack points out. Spot makes a motion to punch Jack before Albert stops him.

Oscar just sighs.

"I recommend that you go talk to Kloppman before you say another word to me, Kelly. You guys weren't very accepting of us either, it makes sense if you know our past. I'll see you later Spot, keep me updated on Race" Oscar tells him. Spot nods.

Oscar slips out of the alley, past Elmer, JoJo, and Specs.

Elmer tries to hug Oscar again, but Oscar politely declines it.

"Jack Kelly, you are an idiot" Spot tells him, his voice icy, cold, and angry.

"What?"

"Like I've said before, not everyone has good pasts. You of all people should know this. Don't assume that they do. Did they ever look like they wanted to hurt you guys?" Spot asks, snapping. Jack thinks for a moment, before hesitantly shaking his head, no. "That alone should be enough to at least trust him a little and not act like you despise him without fully knowing his past. He saved Race!"

"I know! I get it. But when you're a Newsie you have to be careful who you trust! He and his brother are known for beating Newsies/Street Rats up!" Jack shouts, finally turning to Spot.

"Oscar's right. If you talked to Kloppman, you would know things like the fact that they've also been to the Refuge, and not just to beat up kids. They do this to protect each other Jack!" Spot shouts back. Jack steps back, looking at Spot in shock. "Think before you act Jack Kelly. I'll be back tomorrow morning before I visit Oscar and Morris. While I'm not here, I advise you to think, or else Race might not be the only one recovering from a soaking."

Spot walks off, red with anger, leaving Jack, Albert, Elmer, JoJo, and Specs in the alleyway, confused and concerned.

Jack was shocked. He had no idea. He needed to apologize to Oscar.

The other four boys were confused, and knew they should ask Kloppman about what Oscar told him.

"Come on boys, let's head back to the Lodge. We need to ask Kloppman about Oscar, and check if Race is awake, and how he is doing even if he isn't awake."

The four boys nod, following their leader out of the alley that they had been in for about two hours.

Spot watches from the roof of one of the buildings nearby, nodding. At least Jack is thinking now.

Spot jumps down from the building, and starts heading to Brooklyn, hoping that tomorrow Jack will have had some sense knocked into his brain.

1116 Words