Chapter 9 - Oscar - Something to Believe In

- Chapter 9 - Something to Believe In -
Warning: Soaking
Third Person POV

When Oscar finally found Race, he found him on the rooftop of the Brooklyn Lodge. He was leaning against the railing, looking over the city while he fiddled with his cigar.

It made Oscar a little nervous for Race to be that close to the edge, but he knew Race wouldn't jump.

What made him nervous was the fact that Race was really clumsy. Like, really clumsy. So Oscar was nervous Race would fall off.

"Why'd you leave?" Oscar asks Race, walking to stand next to him.

"You shouldn't be out here. You're still hurt" Race points out, not turning to Oscar.

"You're not answering my question" Oscar responds. Race sighs, starting to sing.

He didn't know how to explain, but he was gonna try.

Race: 'Til the moment I found you
I thought I knew what love was
Now I'm learning what is true
That love will do what it does
The world finds ways to sting you
And then one day decides to bring you

Something to believe in
For even a night
One night may be forever
But that's alright
That's alright
And if you're gone tomorrow
What was ours still will be
I have something to believe in
Now that I know you believed in me

Oscar sighs to himself. He loved Race, but he knew what Race meant.

Though, he had to admit, Race has a beautiful singing voice. (A/N Ben Cook. Who's your favorite Race?)

Oscar: We was never meant to meet
And then we meet
Who knows why
One more stranger on the street
Just someone sweet passing by
An angel come to save me

Oscar pokes Race's nose when he says Angel. Race was an Angel.

He was beautiful, angelic, etc. there are so many words Oscar could use to describe him.

Who didn't even know she gave me
Something to believe in
For even a day
One day may be forever
But that's okay
That's okay
And if I'm gone tomorrow
What was ours still will be
I have something to believe in
Now that I know you believed in me

"Throughout all of my soaking street kids, and stuff, you never once did something to me. In fact, you had a crush on me." Oscar and Race both laugh.

Both: Do you know what I believe in?
Look into my eyes and see

Oscar looks into Race's eyes, cupping his face with his hands, before both of them pull away again.

"If things were different" Oscar sighs, running his hands through his hair after he lets go of Race, who pouts for a second.

"What, if you weren't soaking new kids everyday?" Race asks, nudging Oscar in the side.

Oscar rolls his eyes, though he knew that Race was joking.

"And if you weren't one of 30 kids, and if your brothers weren't after my head." Oscar responds, before mumbling. "Especially Jack."

"You're not really scared of my brothers. Besides, most of them trust you more now" Race points out. Oscar deadpans at him.

"'Most of them.'" Race rolls his eyes at Oscar's mocking. "No, but I am pretty scared of you."

"Why? I'm a literal puppy" Race points out, laughing a bit.

Oscar rolls his eyes, smirking a bit as he ruffles Race's hair. 

Race laughs, smacking Oscar's hands away as Oscar laughs with him.

They stop again, after a minute, remembering their problem.

"Just go with it" Oscar responds. Race nods, shrugging a bit.

Oscar: And if I'm gone tomorrow

Race: What was ours still will be

Both: I have something to believe in
Now that I know you believed in me

Oscar: I have something to believe in

Both: Now that I know you believed in me

They finish singing.

Oscar wraps his arms around Race's waist, as Race leans against him.

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry." Race apologizes over and over again. Oscar feels his heart break. Why is he apologizing?. "This is all my fault. I shouldn't have gotten in that mess, you shouldn't have saved me. This isn't a relationship that can work, all the odds are against us. You need someone who's better. You deserve someone better than me."

Oscar wraps his arms around Race, gently rocking the smaller boy. "Racer. I wouldn't trade you for the world-"

"You would for your brother."

Oscar sighs. "Ruining the moment here Racer."

"Sorry."

"I don't want someone who isn't you. I saved you for a reason, and some soaking isn't gonna stop me. Morris turns eighteen in just under two weeks, and I'm pretty sure that Spot isn't letting us out of his sight, especially not to go back to Wiesel and Snyder." Oscar points out, causing the two boys laugh a bit. "You don't have to apologize, I made that choice, and I don't regret it one bit. I would've been broken if you died, I literally crushed on you for years."

Oscar and Race laugh again. It was true. "I don't want some stupid, rich girl. I don't want another boy. I want you Race, just you. I love you."

Race blushes hard. "I love you too."

Oscar turns Race around, before cupping Race's face with his hands and kissing him.

They pull away after a minute, Race blushing hard, and Oscar blushing, but not as much as Race was. It was cute to him.

"You have a nice singing voice" Race mumbles, turning even more red, if that was even possible at this point.

"Thanks Racey. You do too" Oscar responds. Race smiles a bit.

They intwine their fingers, holding hands, as they came down from the roof, going back into Spot's room, where Davey, Jack, Spot, Morris, Ace, and Smokes were waiting for them.

Before they got to the room, like literally right outside the door, Race stopped Oscar, who turned to him, confused.

"You know, you make everything okay" Race tells Oscar, who smiles at him, kissing him.

"Everything's okay, for Tonight."

1004 Words