Chapter 2

With regard to Lu Xun’s pro bono case, Qian Wei roughly poked through it and found out it was a divorce case. Although it did not involve much property, the statements of the involved parties were confusing and mixed up with a lot of personal feelings. Lawyers needed to spend a lot of energy to sort out and extract the useful information from statements like this. Qian only glanced at her schedule before she decided to put the case aside and interview the parties involved directly after the new year.

“You’re still here?”

As soon as she got busy, Qian Wei completely forgot about things other than work, and it was not until Lu Xun came up to her at the end of the day that she realized that tonight was the appointed day for the class reunion.

Qian quickly gathered up her documents and said, “I’m coming! Lu Xun, wait for me! I need to hitch a ride!”

Lu Xun didn’t respond but he did slow down. Qian Wei managed to catch up and follow him into the elevator.

Lu Xun’s black Bentley was spacious and comfortable, and Qian only felt that it sure was good to have money. Although he had a grudge against her, Qian Wei had to admit that Lu Xun was really good at everything, and his ability to make money was as outstanding as his appearance. Rich, handsome, and talented. Held deep affections too, just judging by how he seemed to still pine for Mo Zixin after so many years.

“Did you read the case file I gave you last time?”

While Qian Wei was thinking hard about how to start a topic, Lu Xun unexpectedly opened his mouth first. His voice had a cool texture and a sense of detachment, people listening would have trouble understanding his mood from his tone.

Qian didn’t know why, but she instinctively felt that if she answered honestly that she didn’t read it, Lu Xun would be angry. So after brief consideration, she lied: “I read it!”

Lu Xun was silent for a moment, then finally said, “Is there anything you want to say to me after reading it?”

In order to please the boss, Qian Wei gritted her teeth and decided to sell her soul: “Although it is a pro bono case, I know that it must be the boss’s good intentions to give such a case to me. I believe that this case will certainly bring me a new perspective and allow me to practice, so that I can benefit a lot in my future work. I will certainly handle this case well and live up to the painstaking efforts of my boss!”

“You didn’t read it at all.” Unfortunately, Lu Xun instantly saw through and pierced Qian Wei’s lie. “After the reunion ends go back and work overtime and finish reading the materials.”

“…” Lu Xun, I must have a grudge against you from my last life!

By the time Qian Wei and Lu Xun arrived, the rest of their former classmates had already arrived and were chatting enthusiastically.

“It’s not easy to be a woman lawyer. Every time I go on a blind date, I have to assure my partner that if there is a divorce in the future, I won’t let them leave the house penniless.”

“It’s also very hard to be a judge. Whenever someone takes issue with my judgment there will be people who go to the courthouse with big banners protesting. There is also a lot of pressure and we can only draw a measly salary from the system.”

When the people spotted Lu Xun, who rarely visited, they hastened to welcome him in, just as they did back at school. No matter where Lu Xun appeared, he was the focus of the crowd.

“Here comes Lu Xun!”

“Why did you come alone again this time? The construction of your material civilization is good enough. When will you begin construction of your spiritual civilization and leave behind your singledom?”