SAFETY

Dancing, music, smoke, lights strobing; my heartbeat and sinew. It keeps me alive and holds me together. I shouldn't be here at all. The broker who invited me has disappeared, so I close my eyes and hope this night also fades into obscurity. I'm supposed to entertain some birthday boy, but no one has seen him.

Giran hasn't brought me to a party in ages, not since I became 'Kamui's girl' according to the broker. Most people assume I'm after Shinji's money. It's not true. I had him before the money and the fame. The Hero Life and his publicists took him and anything we might've had away from me. There's no point in looking back when there's nothing left there anymore. Those soulful brown eyes and stern demeanor always had a hold on my heart, even when we were both living in that shithole neighborhood before he finally achieved his dreams. I've always been too young for him. I was 17 and he was 24, before everything changed for him. Both of us, really.

He's meant to be a hero, but he shells out money for me to go as his date to hero parties, galas, or just to dinner. Shinji has a giant heart and is hilarious, too, but not everyone can experience that side of him. It's like after everything we went through before he made his debut and became one of the Top Heroes is a distant memory. He insists on buying time with me even, though, I would see him for free. Maybe he's trying to help me, but he might also only think of me as very good friend and Escort. We sleep together every time anyway, so whatever the reason, we both get something out of it.

Shinji called to tell me he wasn't feeling up for hanging out tonight and said to sleep well in a gentle voice through his phone. A whispered kiss. I was going to stay in my apartment and make some videos for my Quirky Girls page, until Giran called and doubled the party appearance fee. It is a hero's birthday after all and despite everything I just described, I am still a broke bitch. Maintaining my site, wardrobe, rent, bills, and everything leaves me only barely comfortable.

If I black out, I've made it through another day in this hateful prison of a mind and body. If I remember in the morning, it's just more weight added to my chest since everything always collapses. 'I wonder who's penthouse this is anyway?', I think to myself as I explore every room until...

I find the one door I wish I'd left closed. "Excuse me?! Shut the damn- fuck... Persephone... I...," Shinji and Mount Lady, who lives up to her name. Kamui is scrambling to get his pants on as I walk out of the room. "Persephone!! Wait. It's not like that,"

I slowly turn to him and slap him across his stupid walnut mask, leaving a hollow thump. "I'm not your girlfriend or anything to you. You've made sure of that for 5 years. It's never been like that for us since you became a hero and it's never 'what it looks like', is it? I'm glad you found someone you don't have to pay to fuck. I'll get my free time back. Have fun with the jolly green giant." I add coldly as I walk away from the shirtless man, grabbing an entire tray of mixed drinks from a waiter to take with me along my way.

I should've known Shinji would be here. That rude giant bitch on the other hand, was a punch to the face, gut, soul; anything I left exposed. I can't believe I didn't see how he's always with her. I'm more angry that he acted like he was cheating on me. Shady fucking blockhead. I sigh as I sprout several plump red strawberries from my finger tips to garnish my champagnes after downing all the whiskeys.

When everything is hazy and I feel sick, I stumble onto the roof to catch my breath in the cool night. The constant groping on the dance floor earlier has me put off. I'm happy I was right that there'd be a seating area up here. Rich people love to try to cook on their roofs. I collapse heavily onto the most uncomfortable couch on earth, ready to pull out my book and read. I'm sure Pamela des Barres might have some advice to help me out here. A low groan catches my attention.

"Great, I'm s-so invisible that women sit on me. I don't know if it's a blessing... or a c-curse," a quiet voice says dripping with pessimism and ... humor? I turn to my left to look at the man whose lap I'm occupying. I'm met with the visage of beautiful indigo eyes and messy asymmetrical hair in the same shade. His cheeks are red, so are the tips of his pointed ears. His thin mouth is contorted into a grimace. Huh, I wonder if I hurt him or if he's gay or maybe I'm unattractive to him. He's really cute, though. Really really cute. I feel my cheeks flush.