4

Ananda

The next few days at work I was feeling exhausted and I couldn't concentrate.

I plumped down onto the seat in my office and took a deep breath. Coffee. That's what I need.

I was contemplating when and where exactly I was going to be able to get said coffee, when there was a knock on my door.

"Morning." Tom grinned, opening the door with his elbow since he was carrying two cups of coffee, the cardboard cupholders starting to slide off.

"Morning," I sighed, taking a deep breath and resting my head on the back of my chair.

"Are you okay?" He questioned, walking over to my desk and looking at me carefully. When I didn't answer he took a seat in front of me and placed the cups on the table.

"I know we've only known each other for a short time but I can tell something's bothering you," He spoke, looking at me carefully. "If you want to talk about it, I'm here." He said, looking at me with soft eyes.

"Well, it's... a lot." I laughed nervously but he just stared at me expectantly.

"I won't judge. I'm all ears."

"I found out that my husband and my best friend slept together." I blurted before I could stop myself. I watched as his eyes widened, and then he sat back in the chair.

"Wow."

"It was years ago, before we were in a relationship... but, that's not the part that's bothering me," I paused, realizing that I was about to tell someone I'd known for a few days all of my problems, but for some reason I just wanted to get it all out.

Maybe it would be good to get another opinion; someone who knew nothing about situation and people involved.

"At the time I was with someone else, and I knew deep down that I loved Harry, my husband. My best friend knew that." I explained, and he just nodded as I continued. "I don't even care that they had sex, I care about the fact that she was the only one who knew how I felt about him and how he felt about me and she lied."

Then, somehow I let everything out. I told him about how Serena was in high school, how she blamed me for being assaulted by her crush, Patrick, and how several times she had chosen him over me.

"I'm sorry, Amanda," He breathed, sitting back in the chair. "but it doesn't sound like she's your real friend to me."

I took a deep breath and sighed. Maybe that was what I needed to hear.

"I know it's hard because you've known each other for so long, but sometimes you've got to start acknowledging all those red flags you ignored before," He advised, and I nodded and took a deep breath of realization.

"You're right," I breathed, as I glanced at the time at my phone realizing I needed to leave soon. "Thank you for letting me unload."

"I'm happy to help," he said, giving me another crooked smile.

"I've got to head over to a location in 20 minutes, so I should probably start getting my paperwork together."

"Well, I brought this for you." He said, handing me one of the cups of coffee. "It always gets me through the day, and I figure now you might need it a little more than me today." He joked.

"You read my mind. Thank you, Tom." I grinned, holding the warm cup in my hand. "And thanks again for listening."

"Of course, anytime-" He started, but was interrupted by another knock on the door. He made his way over to the door and opened it, revealing the last person I expected to see right now.