CHAPTER 14

How to smuggle thirteen dwarves and a halfling

"Get in."

The fifteen travelers didn't need to be told twice and, one by one, they began to set up on the barge. Arya was the last to get aboard.

"Thank you."

The young woman turned to the man, before sitting down in a corner at bow, between Fili and Kili. The stranger looked at her and smiled, then let go of the last rope and got on, heading towards the stern rudder. The ship began to sail the black waters of the lake covered by a thick blanket of fog, which made the contours of the surrounding landscape almost indistinguishable.

Arya was curled up against Fili's chest, while the dwarf was holding an arm over her shoulders and playing with her long dark hair, weaving it between his fingers.

"Watch out!"

Bofur suddenly shouted, breaking the silence. Everyone's eyes followed the dwarf's worried gaze and saw a tall column appear from the midst of the fog, not far from the bow of the boat; the man, masterfully steering the rudder, went around it.

"What are you trying to do? Drown us?"

Thorin growled as he turned to the bargeman with his arms crossed over his chest.

"I was born and bred on these waters, Master Dwarf. If I wanted to drown you, I would not do it here."

He replied seriously.

"Oh, I've had enough of this lippy lake-man. I say we throw him over the side and be done with him!"

Dwalin proposed wryly.

"Oh, Bard. He's name's Bard!"

Bilbo then intervened, bored by the constant complaints of the dwarf.

"How do you know?"

Bofur asked curiously.

"Uh...I asked him."

The hobbit answered in an obvious way.

"I don't care what he calls himself, I don't like him."

Dwalin continued, adamant on his initial idea.

"We do not have to like him, we simply have to pay him."

Balin then specified, in an attempt to put an end to his brother's protests, while collecting the money to pay their smuggler.

"Come on, now, lads. Turn out your pockets."

Asserted the old white-haired dwarf, after having counted the money. The fellows exchanged annoyed glances, but still began to give each his own share.

"How do we know he won't betray us?"

Dwalin began to complain in a low voice.

"We don't."

Thorin replied apprehensively.

"There's um...just a wee problem. We're ten coins short."

Balin declared, recounting the pieces for the second time. Thorin leaned back against the edge of the barge and, still with his arms crossed over his chest, gave Gloin an inquisitive look.

"Gloin, come on. Give us what you have."

He told him firmly. The dwarf stared at him in shock.

"Don't look to me. I have been bled dry by this venture! What have I seen for my investment? Naught but misery and grief and..."

Gloin suddenly stop talking seeing the summit of the lonely mountain rise out of the fog. Each member of the company sprang up and stared at Erebor in wonder. They were almost home.