CHAPTER 1

"Roohi Madam, Shenoy Sir wants to see you in his office." Chandhu: our floor attendant told me as he placed the steaming cup of coffee on my table. I tore my eyes off my work computer and slid my headset down. I lifted my gaze to him and his lips curled into a polite smile.

He was an old man probably in his fifties, but he looked a lot older. He was thin, very thin with dull features. He had shabby greying hair he barely combed. He looked like he could use a retirement, but I don't think he's due for another five years.

I smiled back at him. He is probably the only person who is genuinely nice to me here. "Thank you Chacha, I don't understand why does he always call me at the wrong time. Did he tell you why he wanted me there?" I asked him like an idiot that I am. How can he possibly know what my good for nothing Boss wants from me?

He gave me a really awkward smile unintentionally embarrassing me even more, "I don't know Madam, the boss asked me to call you so I did." he told me apologetically. "Thank you, Chacha." I told him in my most polite dismissive tone and walked away humming a tune I didn't recognize.

Sighing heavily I placed my headset on my table and pushed myself out of the uncomfortable chair. My back is sore from sitting for hours. I quickly stretched a little and covered my coffee mug with a lid. What if a fly or something decides to go for a swim in it? Damn, why did I have to put that gross thought in my mind?

Shrugging off the thought, I walked towards Vasudev Shenoy aka my boss's office which was on the third floor of our building. I usually take the stairs as it is my only way of squeezing in some workout into my busy and not to mention lazy lifestyle but today I'm taking the elevator so that I don't look breathless or tired when I reach his office.

The door to the elevator slid open and I quickly stepped into it, I pressed the button to the third floor and it took me to my destination. Stepping out of the elevator I walked straight to his cabin which was the third room in the hallway. A black nameplate with his name written in excellent gold font proudly hung on his door. I rolled my eyes at his self-obsession and knocked at his door

I tapped my feet as I patiently waited for his response and once I heard his stern "Come in," I pushed the door and stepped into the office and was instantly welcomed by the unbearable stench of his favorite room freshener. God, how is he even alive here? I don't think I can survive more than half an hour in this hell hole.

The room was moderately lit with a medium-sized window covered with grey blinds. The walls were plain white which had begun to turn brown for obvious reasons. The room looked pretty much like any other cheap office with a desk which looked too big for the room which was messier than a dumpster.

Vasudev Shenoy proudly sat behind the desk with his face inches away from the computer screen. His lips moved animatedly like he was reading the content out to himself. He dipped his eyebrows in concentration as he continued to read though fully aware of my presence.

I cleared my throat making him finally turn towards me. His lips pressed into a thin line and I swallowed hard. What have I done this time?

"Sit down Roohi," he ordered, pointing me towards one of the empty chairs in front of him. I nodded and took a seat. "You wanted to have a word with me, Sir?" I asked him and he responded to it with a scowl.

"We have received yet another complaint against you, Roohi. This is the fourth time Mr. Verma has complained against you for being rude to him on call when all he wanted was to get some information about our new scheme." that son of a bitch. I knew this was bound to happen sooner or later but didn't expect it to happen so soon.