CHAPTER 2

II walked out of the metro station feeling exhausted to the core. I hadn'tgot a seat today so I had to stand throughout my journey from Whitefield toKoramangala. I glance at my watch and it's still 5:00 PM. I'm almost four hoursearly today which means I can finally cook something edible for dinner.

With the newfound hope, I walked towards the auto stand when my phone started to cry in my handbag. I opened my purse and fished it out. An unknown fancy number flashed on my screen and I hesitated for a moment. Usually, I don't answer phone calls from unknown numbers but somehow I ended up talking myself into answering this one. What if I was getting a call from one of the companies I had applied to?

"I'm I talking to Miss Roohi Patel?" an intense sounding male voice asked me and I frowned,

"Yes; who is this?" I asked him.

"My name is Advocate Kabir Khan, is it a good time to talk?" He asked me and I had a feeling that I was talking to the kind of a person who would care if someone like me was having time to talk to him or not.

"I guess so, what is the matter?" I asked him awkwardly. I don't know why, but for some odd reason, I don't have a good feeling about this.

"Miss Patel I'm calling you on behalf of my client Miss Sneha Patel." the mention of my mother's name made me go stiff for a moment. The woman who hasn't bothered to contact me for like eighteen years all of a sudden gets a lawyer to call me out of the blue? You must be kidding me.

"Miss Patel, are you with me?" he asked, snapping me out of my thoughts. Oh God, did I zone out again? I tend to do that a lot.

"With all due respect Mr Khan, I have no interest in talking to her or about her. She had made it very clear that she has nothing to do with us years back. Thank you for calling, please do convey my message to her." I told him, making sure my tone was cold and yet polite.

She can't just appear out of the blue one day and expect me to behave like nothing happened. The truth is, she has screwed up big time and no, she's not getting away with it.

"Miss Patel, I can't do that." came his abrupt reply. I did not miss the hesitation in his voice and that's the only thing that stopped me from snapping mean things at him. You don't shoot the messenger after all.

He sighed heavily, "Miss Patel, your mother has passed away six months back." I felt like somebody just poured ice-cold water over my head and I did not understand what I was feeling. A part of me was heartbroken that I will never get a chance to see her again and the other part just didn't care.

For a minute I didn't know what to say. I had never really thought of her all my life, not even as a child. Most of my childhood was spent trying my best in saving my father from falling apart. After my mother had left him he was a mess. She had left him in pieces and I had spent a better half of my childhood putting those pieces together.

"How did it happen?" I asked him, my voice void of any emotions. He took his time answering, probably trying to frame his words carefully. "She overdosed on sleeping pills. Her maid found her body two days after her death."

I ran my fingers through my hair as I tried to process what he had just told me. My mother had committed suicide and I don't know what to think. I closed my eyes and took a deep calming breath. I wrapped my emotions into an invisible bag and hid it away in one of the hidden chests in my head. I had learnt this trick years back and believe it or not it did work.

"Why wasn't I informed about this earlier?" I asked him or more like demanded him. You don't wait six months to drop news like that.

He sighed, "It wasn't my place to tell you; plus I called you to discuss her Will with you?" bullshit, it is his place to tell me. I held myself back from saying that loud.