Hero Etymology (Part 1)

Etymology is the study of the origin of words and the way in which their meanings have changed throughout history.

Let's find out the meaning and origins of our favourite Mobile Legends Heroes!

Akai - of Japanese origin, meaning ''red'' (赤い, akai). So, that makes this chubby panda boy a haponese.

Aldous - of Old German origin, the name 'Aldous' means "old".

Alice - of Old German origin, the name 'Alice' means "noble" or "exalted". Quite fitting to her title as a queen.

Alpha - of Greek origin, "alpha" is the first letter of the Greek alphabet (uppercase Α, lowercase α)

Alucard - derived from the backward spelling of the name "Dracula". This name is used in various vampire-related fiction, some popular bearers of this name can be found in Castlevania and Hellsing.

Angela - of Latin Christian origin, pretty obvious the name means ''angel''.

Argus - of Greek origin, the name came from "Argus Panoptes" (Ancient Greek: Ἄργος Πανόπτης), meaning ''all-seeing". Argus is a monstrous entity described on having one-hundred eyes and the servant of the Greek Goddess, Hera. Eventually, Argus was slain by the messenger Hermes, ordered by Zeus, and it's hundred eyes are preserved forever by Hera in a peacock's tail. This is my favourite name in ML.

Atlas - although the etymology of the name is uncertain, it is of Greek origin. ''Atlas"' (Greek: Ἄτλας) is the Titan of endurance, strength and astronomy from Greek mythology, condemned to hold up the celestial heavens for eternity after the (The 10 year war between the Titans and Olympians).

Did you know that the "Atlantic Ocean" is derived from "Sea of Atlas"? The name "Atlantis" is from "Atlantis nesos" (Ancient Greek: Ἀτλαντὶς νῆσος), which literally means "Atlas' island". This is indeed related to his "Ocean Gladiator" hero title.

Aurora - ''aurora'' is the Latin word for "dawn". Although it straight up doesn't quite relate to her winter magic powers, I'd like to think Northern Vale is based on the Scandinavian Peninsula, 'cause it has a cold climate, it's close to the Arctic (the coldest among the five major oceans) and the Atlantic, also is near the magnetic poles, remarked as a best place to see an aurora!

Badang - he is based on the legendary Southeast Asian strongman from the Malay world of the same name.

Balmond - couldn't find anything related to this name, probably a name the Devs made up.

Bane - ''bane'' is an actual English word that means "a cause of great distress or annoyance". In Archaic meaning; "something, typically poison, that causes death". (From Old English bana, 'thing causing death, poison', of Germanic origin)

Barats - couldn't find anything related to this name, probably a name the Devs made up. Detona's name is probably derived from the word "detonate'', but most likely a name the Devs made up too.

Baxia - of Chinese origin, meaning "forceful power" (霸下, bàxià). His earlier name, "Bixi", is a figure in Chinese mythology, one of the nine sons of the Dragon King and is depicted as a dragon with the shell of a turtle. "Bixi" is refer to as "Baxia" by some authors.

Belerick - the term, "Belerick", presumably refers to a tree (in Sanskrit, it is called Bibhita and Bibhitaka - meaning fearless). This tree is generally avoided by the Hindus of Northern India who will not rest in its shade as it is supposed to be inhabited by demons. Well, Belerick is a nature based guardian so yeah... Tree.