Chapter 5: We Watch, We Learn

Sitting upon the mountains just beyond a spice patch, a Harkonnen thopter lands just next to the spice patch.

Fremen and the two young Atreides look down at the patch. "Just as you said, Stil," Paul tells him. "Harkonnen greed for Spice is the most reliable beacon in the universe," Stilgar informs them. Elizabeth shot a look over at him, smirking and looks back.

 Reconnaissance team on the ground

Ground break off, head to the Spice patch.

Elizabeth leans close to Imre, "And the fall for the same trick every time?" she asks him. He chuckles at her, "It's almost funny. Just watch." he answers. She looks back and watches.

The Harkonnen patrol walks out to the patch, but one immediately stops as he heard a bird chirping. He looks around, seeing no one in his sight.

Should we call in a Harvester?

Anyone else hear that?

He turns back to the others to join them at the patch but then from behind. Fremen jump from the very sands they walk on and attacked the Baron's men. Catching them by surprise and slaughters them.

Once they were all down, the Fremen celebrated as they raised the guns into the air, cheering. Elizabeth was impressed as Imre nods at her. "Right?" he states, she chuckles at him. "We didn't even have to damage the thopter. The men will fly them to our caves at night." Stilgar into them. "It explains so much." Elizabeth states, Paul nods at her in agreement.

Thus Paul and Elizabeth began to learn of the Fremen ways;

A patrol came upon a small group of Fremen and surrounded them, the Atreides watches as more sprung from the ground and they patrol was taken down.

Spice smugglers arrived at a Spice patch, only to be ambushed by the Fremen.

Not long after, Fremen charges into the warehouse, killing off the Harkonnen's men, leaving no man alive, except for the workers.

The vision of a distance Battle between the Harkonnen and the Fremen flashes in Elizabeth's mind seeing hundreds of Desert people fall. But so did the Baron Harkonnen's men.

Stilgar teaches the two young Atreides of their ways, of where to strike, how hard, and how swiftly to strike.

~8~8~8~

The Baron Nephew, Raddan marches through the village with his men informing him of the situation. "That was our last communication. There's was no mayday, no evidence of wreckage when we went to investigate." the captain informs him. "That's the third thopter this mouth!" Raddan shouts at him. "The patch they were scouting turned out to be a mock-spice. It was probably a plan to lure them there." the captain informs him. "Fremen-scum!!" Raddan shouts.

He and the captain arrived at the row of a few villagers that caught the other night, sitting on their knees, half beaten to death, the other villagers were gathered as Raddan approaches them "We caught these in a raid last night, a village near the rim wall. Known to the desert sympathizers." the captain informs him.

One of the men held his hand out to him, "Thirsty, Convener." he begs and the two looked down at him. "We are refugees. We need food," he begs them. "Liar! Spies, that's what you are! Spies for the Fremen scum! Fremen who raid MY Spice warehouses. Who destroy royal equipment!" Raddan shouts at him.

But the man shook his head, terrified of him. "No. we are poor. We have no weapons." he whimpers before him, but Raddan shoves his foot into the chest, shoving him to the ground. The people gasp in fear of him as the mother of man's children held them closer.

The man pulls himself back up as one of the guards handed the captain a Fremen's knife "He was trying to depose of this when we caught him." he informs him, Raddan looks down at the knife, taking it then raises it into the air as he walks to the back of the row.

The man took one last look at his family, as Raddon stood right behind him, "Send word to the filth of the Desert! Tell them what you witnessed here!!" he calls out to them. The boy just watches his father, who turned away and chanted the man of their Great Messiah. "Tell them! This is what awaits them!" he shouts and grips the man's hair. The man reels his head back and screams his name

MUADI!!!!

Quickly looking away, the mother covers her children's eyes as the blade was plunged into his back. The people groan as they looked away. But the boy never looked away from what he saw.

Ripping the blade away from the now dead man, he shaves the man away, and he tossed to the ground, limply.