The right choice

He was too late, she's been long gone.

Staring back at raging flames of what used to be her home, she's in tears down on her knees. She heard nothing but the crackling sound of fire, and the screams of her family in her head. Her sister screaming for help, she loved her even though she tends to be a brat. Her mother who raised her hand and voice at her because she is not the daughter she had hoped for, and her father who only wished the best for her.

In the distance a young man, gazed at the girl behind frames. His eyes soften as he watches her crumble away as if the fire has eaten her away. a glistening silver knife on his hands, he took a step towards her. He couldn't do it.

The sobs got louder and his heart broke while he just watched. The knife fell on the pavement making a cluttering sound, he slowly approached her.
He kneeled beside her and engulfs her into his arms holding her as she wailed and cried.

"shh, I'm sorry zaia.. It's going to be okay." He isn't so sure about that though, will it really be okay? He carried her in his arms; she was a perfect construction of bones that has fallen apart. It's a terrifying thought how fast hopeful eyes turn emotionless, how bright smiles and cheerful laughter turns into endless screaming of curses accompanied by drops of sadness.

William still can't bring himself to make the right choice.

He left her in his room to let her rest. He laid her down on the bed. He stroked her hair in a comforting manner, dried tears visible on her cheeks. Placing a kiss on her forehead he murmered. "I'm sorry."

He apologized so many times, each time with the same pain of a man who has lost the only thing that made him feel human. He's sorry he could've prevented this if only he had made the right choice, he's sorry he was so selfish, he's sorry he can't do anything for now that he only has her and her time in his hands but he can't even stop that alone because he's scared. Losing her means losing himself and losing the only thing he has ever called his and that scares him to no end.

And so does this.

When he came back to check on her, she is no longer there.

All that is left is the memory of her figure on the mattress and the last bit of scent of her hair on the pillow, the tear-stained pillow with the smell of fresh flowers was the only thing she left behind. She left with his heart in her possession when William begged for her to stay.

Once again, He just can't make the right choice.

two pairs of glowing eyes stared at her maliciously, lips brought onto sly smirks. They eyed the girl hungrily. The smaller man cupped her cheeks on his hands, looking right into her eyes that stared back in the same way as a dead fish would.

"Poor Zaia, if only that reaper killed you right then you wouldn't be in this position. You're already dead; you're just a shell starving for revenge."

"Shut up." She snapped, in a tone she had never used before. Well, a tone Zaia never used. This is different she is no longer Zaia. This perked the demons interest, pure hatred is all that is left in her. "I know what you want. It's my soul isn't it?"

"ah, yes your soul. I'm-" he was stopped

"I'll let you have my soul. If you aid me in my revenge to find who did this to my family and why."

The Phantomhive grin deviously and politely bowed down, the same way his butler Sebastian does.

"Yes, My Lady."