Chapter Nine

Zoë woke up with a jolt, her heart pounding. Her hair hung around her face, a tangled braid woven in the midst, her mothers silver pin dangling at the tips. Running her finger through her hair, she glanced at the ground where she built Thalia a nest out of her spare blankets.

Empty.

Volting up, Zoë's heart hammered in her ears as she ran for the door and flung it open, the door smashing into her wall leaving a dent she'd no doubt regret later. Unarmed, she dashed down the stairs, to see a dark mass with Thalia slung over his shoudler. Thalia was squirming, her blue eyes were electric with fear, and a black gag was stuffed into her, and her arms and legs were bound. Zoë, completely ignoring the fact that she was injured, launched at the mass, aiming a punch for the strangers head.

Surpringly, the mass crumpled, and Thalia rolled away, free. Zoë rushed to the girl, quickly undoing her bonds, yanking the black rope off, before running to the mass. Hands flying, her one forced year off Girl Scouts came in handy as she tied a series of brilliant knots, binding the strangers arms and legs as they groaned. Thalia spat the gag out of her mouth, slowly getting to her feet.

"Nice." She commented, as the two examined the struggling figure. Zoë knelt down by the face. And turned the head. She immediately recoiled, scrammbling back, and slamming her back into the wall behind her. Her head screamed in pain, as she gripped the blue wall for dear life. Her eyes alight with a crushed mixture of emotions. Fear, anger, hate, and curiosity spun in an inferno trapped inside her eyes. Her heart thundered in her ears, her breathing was ragged, and her hair was sticking up in all places giving her the look of someone insane.

Thalia jumped in shock as Zoë response, before squatting down next to the figure, intrigued to see what frightened Zoë. Her hands on her knees she stared at the face, glancing between Zoë, who was still hugging the wall, and the struggling figure. Finally Thalia came to a conclusion.

"Your father?" Thalia turned around, Zoë nodded feverishly, before bolting into the kitchen, she face a bit green. Taking deep breathes, she calmed herself down.

Why was she so shocked, so horrified. She knew this was going to happening, she even expected her father to be the one who kidnapped her in the end. But stealing her friend in the middle of the night? Zoë did not expect that. She ran her fingers through her hair, breathing in deep. Letting out the breath, her body relaxed. Her head still pounded, but she managed somehow to grab the house phone, it was knocked over sideways on the marble counter, and dial Nico's number. Shakily tapping her foot against the floor, she held the ringing phone up to her ear, hoping that Nico would Anwser.

"Hello?" A drowsy voice mumbled, Zoë jolted, nearly dropping the phone.

"Nico? That you?" She exclaimed, twisting a strand of her tangled black hair.

"Yeah." Nico said, "Is something up? I was busy sleeping." Zoë rolled her eyes, leaning against the oven door behind her.

"I caught my dad trying to kidnap Thalia. I think that's reason enough to wake his royal highness out of his beauty sleep. And feel free to bring that scepter your dad gave you, maybe a sword too. Never know when someone wants to challenge you for the throne." She could practically hear Nico scowling across the phone. The line went dead, Zoë's arm fell down, the phone dropping by her side as she slide down the over door, and onto the cool kitchen tiles.

For a while she just sat there, staring into space, her head pounding, and blood roaring in her ears. Absent mildly tapping against the floor, her eyes glazed, lips dry. She jolted forward as the doorbell rang, a ding, clear and crisp.

Zoë blinked, her eyes painfully dry, as Thalia cautiously opened the door in the other room. Getting to her feet, Zoë walked around the corner of the door to see Nico with a black scepter, topped with a purple orb, and a black sword clasped to his waist with a belt. He was dressed, though his black shirt was inside out and backwards, and his black hair was all stuck up in the back, and his eyes were wide like he'd just downed three coffees without taking a breath. He slowly closed the door behind him, shifting away from her dads body.

"Is that your dad, Zoë?" Nico asked, his hand on the sword as he peered at the mass. Zoë nodded with disgust.

"Unfortunately." Zoë curled her lip, watching her father squirm, his hands trying to reach something in his belt. Without realizing it, Zoë leapt froward, grabbing the object from his hand in one swipe. Looking down, she realized it was a cool black gun.

Turning it over in her hands she stared at her father, leaning against the door frame. Finally she spoke.

"Why are you here. And why did you try to take Thalia." Spinning the gun slowly in her hands, staring at the codfish of a parent who lay bound on the floor. "Well go on then. You're not gagged are you?" Her father took a deep breath.

"We both know I'm not going to talk." Zoë held up the gun, aiming it at her fathers head.

"And we both know I'm not afraid to shoot you. And we both know I never miss." Zoë deadpanned, holding the gun steady with both hands. "And we both know you're a coward so start talking." Atlas swallowed,and turned over, his facing the ceiling.

"I was here to get you. I wasn't planned that Thalia would be here. So I had to dispose of her firstly. Even Tethys, we forced her boss to send her out of town." Zoë gripped her hands tighter around the gun, her knuckles gone white.

"Where is Percy." She demanded, her voice steady, but there was no mistaking the threat that lingered.

"What? One of your stupid friends? They're all at Othrys' old town hall. " Zoë's face went blank, her eyes widened, and she stuttered when she spoke next.

"All?" Her voice was soft and shaky, "All of them?" Atlas managed to nodd.

"They're alive." She whispered softly, her voice cracking, lowering the gun, before stepping forward and raiding it, her voice loud, "Why are they alive?" Atlas chuckled, staring at the ocean waves painted across the ceiling.

"Isn't it obvious? We're playing a game."Zoë's took another step forward, a clear hint for him to go on. "She said she would help us take over this stupid town, to take back what was ours. All we had to do was take out the threats. And for some reason it was you're little group. She wanted you all to be killed together, and until I get you, they'll remain alive. That's all I know." Lowering the gun, she tucked it into her pajama pants pocket, walking over her fathers body, sure to kick him in the face, grabbing Thalia and Nico, she yanked them into the stairwell.

"No." She stubbornly said, "We are going to the police for once. We are not going to take revenge, we are going to go to the police, so that this time no one gets hurt. And you two are going to sleep here, so that I can keep tabs on you. We'll call the cops in the morning."o Yanking the two by their ears, ignoring their protests and dragged them into her room.

Angrily she pulled out another blanket from her closet and tossed it on Nico before collapsing onto her bed, her head throbbing. Her eye lids were heavy, and she sighed, rolling over into a dreamless sleep.

Of course things didn't go as planned. Two hours later Zoë woke up to exhilarating pain in her head, just bumping it on her head frame. Groaning, she sat up rubbing her scalp, glancing at the digital clock that read 3:13 on her bed side table. Pushing to the back of her head that it was a school day and that Thalia and Nico needed to go back, she lifted up the covers and swung her feets over the side. Her eyes adjusted to the dark, to see once more, Thalia gone, and this time Nico as well. Her eyes went wide, jolting up, ignoring the stars swirling around her skull. Scrambling over to where they had been sleeping, she found a blue post it note stuck to Thalia's pillow, written and signed in one of Zoë's silver sharpies. The words danced around her head, cart wheeling, but she manage to decipher it.

Zoë,

Sorry, but leaving them to the police doesn't appeal to us. We've got some weapons from Nico's house and we are going to get them back, no matter what you think.

Love, Thals

Blood roared in her ears.

"Shit." She grumbled, running running her hand down her face, "Why do always have to clean up other peoples messes."

_____

I've had this done for a while and Jaz was complaining so....

Update.

-Twily

Reach for the Stars (Percy Jackson AU)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें