2. Who Is He?

You feel the sun gently kissing you on your forehead through the tent, waking you up.
As your eyes felt tired and still sleepy, they open up and look around the bed looking for the man who was keeping you company during the night.
You didn't find him.

You slowly get up and you begin to sit on the bed, with the sheets still covering you.
A loud "Hello?" comes from your mouth and seconds later footsteps, towards the tent you spent the night on, were heard.

The man called Lucien, that you met the day before, comes into the tent with some soap on his cheeks and neck while holding a razor in his right hand.
Lucien: "Oh look who decided to wake up!"

Y/N: "Hello Lucien.." You said while scrubbing your eyes due to the brightness of the sun hitting them. "Did I slept for too long?"

Lucien: "Too long for someone who stays on our camp, yes. But long enough for a good night's sleep at home." He starts to clean off the soap left on his face with a towel.

Lucien: "You do look like a heavy sleeper, I mean, didn't you hear the noises of the soldiers practicing shooting just about 3 minutes from here?"

Y/N: "No I didn't and I don't think I'm much of a heavy sleeper, I'm just not used to sleeping on a mattress so I was certainly more comfortable and cozy."

Lucien looks over at you, with pity in his eyes, and asks: "Would you like some new clothes? I can give you some spare ones we have on the camp for soldiers."

Y/N: "I would yes, thank you, Lucien."
Lucien turns around quickly, leaves, and goes grab them for you.

After a few minutes, and Lucien still missing, you suddenly hear the loud noises he was talking about.
With curiosity filling your mind and controlling your body, you get out of the bed quietly and take a peek outside of the tent.
You see soldiers sitting on the grass, some are admiring the sky, some are reading and others simply checking their uniform.

Your eyes begin to wander further away from the camp and you can see the abandoned barn you once slept in. Thinking about it makes you happy, it felt to you that it was important. The barn was the reason you ended up sleeping in a mattress, without it you wouldn't have found this camp and the comfort it provided you at this very moment. You began to unconsciously smile at it, admiring it from the distance.

You back out a bit and this time you start to look around the tent.
There's this small desk near the exit, filled with papers. Not all of them are in French, there are some in Italian too.
This letter catches your eye. An incomplete letter filled with love to someone called Josephine. You can make some words out of it but you remind yourself of the phrase 'Curiosity killed the cat' and stop.

But you begin to wonder about this woman called Josephine. You didn't know much about Napoleon, in fact, you just met him yesterday.
You've been so out of touch with everything. You've heard of his name before, it certainly seems familiar.
You've heard, before coming to France, about the revolution. But it ended years ago, long before you entered the country.
Could these men be linked to the revolution? You question yourself.

As you look down again, at the desk, you spot a small piece of paper. A little painting of a woman as the focal and only point. Could this be Josephine?
Deep down you judge yourself, comparing yourself to her you feel dirty and worthless but these thoughts suddenly vanish. Footsteps coming in your direction are noticed, you take a peek outside and you spot Lucien not so far away.

You quickly go back into the bed.
As you heard the noises of the guns fired by the soldiers in the distance, Lucien is also being heard outside. He's speaking to a soldier but you are not sure about the subject.

He comes into the tent once more, now with some spare soldier clothes resting on his left arm.
Lucien: "Here you go, see if they fit." Says him, while gently putting the clothes on the bed.

You take a look at them, it's a shirt with a high collar and old used trousers.
The eyes placed on your head move towards Lucien, expecting him to leave you alone so you can dress in private.
Without a word being said, and Lucien still remaining in the tent, silence haunts the air. But not for long.

The sound of horses hooves hitting the ground violently can be heard getting louder and louder by the second until finally stopping right in front of the tent.
Lucien quickly gets out.
You stay confused as to why did he rush like that but you are thankful too.

At this moment someone new starts speaking to you from outside.
???: "Is it fine if I come in, Y/N?"

Pausing before answering, you question yourself about who the voice belongs to. You take this time to undress quickly and begin to put on the new clothes provided to you.
Y/N: "I'm dressing myself, just one second please!"

???: "Ah Oui!" (Ah Yes!) "I'll wait here a few minutes, tell me when you are prête." (Tell me when you are ready.)

While you were quickly finishing dressing yourself, you come to the realization that it was Napoleon speaking to you. You suddenly feel sad about dressing up in such a hurry but also guilty about having those thoughts.

Y/N: "Napoleon?" You ask softly.
Nothing was heard for a few seconds, you thought he had left.

Napoleon: "Oui, Y/N? Can I come in now?" (Yes, Y/N?)
Even if the response was delayed, you felt relieved.

Y/N: "Yes you can." Napoleon enters, with a folded map being held in his left hand. He looks over at you and notices your new clothes.

Napoleon: "Aren't those too big for you?"

Y/N: "They are a bit, yes. But I don't mind wearing them, they are definitely better than my old ones!"

Napoleon: "Who gave them to you?"

Y/N: "Lucien did."

Napoleon: "Do you like my brother? He can be a bit intrusive."

Y/N: "He is your brother?!"

Napoleon: "Oui, il l'est." (Yes, he is.)

Y/N: "Now that you say it, you two do look alike."

Napoleon: "He talked to me about you, Y/N. Juste ce matin." (Just this morning.)

Napoleon: "He offered his bed for you to sleep on." Finishing saying this, Napoleon looks away. His eyes start to chase invisible flies around the tent.

Y/N: "What did you say about it?"

Napoleon: "I told him he could ask you himself. I'll just warn you the bed you slept on is the bed of an Emperor. Few ones are as comfortable as that one and few people sleep on it too."

Y/N: "You don't need to warn me about it, I know it damn well!" Describing a bed as one of an Emperor is a creative way of saying it's a really good bed, you think to yourself.
You also think about saying that you'd prefer Napoleon as your bed partner but the words don't leave your thoughts.

Napoleon chuckles because of your enthusiasm.
Napoleon: "When did Lucien give you these clothes?"

Y/N: "I woke up and he offered me spare ones from soldiers."

Napoleon: "Je comprends." (I understand.)
He puts down his folded map, without breaking eye contact with you, and comes closer to you. You look at him and you begin to blush slightly.

Napoleon: "We are about the same height, Y/N. I'm sure my clothes would fit you better, they would be a bit loose but not too big."

Y/N: "I- I don't want to cause any trouble. I've only asked for food and you already gave me so much." You said while your eyes kept changing their focus from Napoleon's gray-blue eyes to his mouth and back and forth.

Napoleon: "No trouble at all. Normally I'm busy but I don't have much to do right now. I might as well feed you and get you clothes that best fit you."
Napoleon throws a soft smile at you and leaves the tent.

As he stops outside of the tent, he turns around gently and elegantly. He pauses for a second and you hear Napoleon say quietly "Come, Y/N." and so you follow him.