10. Run To The Windmill

Birds wake you up by talking to you through the window.
Without looking at him, you untie yourself from his arms.
Since you slept with your clothes on, you get up from the bed and leave the room as quickly as possible.
While you are going downstairs, you look through a window, near the counter, and you notice Nicolas outside.

Oudinot hears the sound of your steps from outside and looks to see if it was Bonaparte.
As he notices you, you stop, halfway on your way down, for a split second to look at him.
He looks surprised and hurries inside to greet you.

Nicolas: "Good morning...!"

Y/N: "Hey..." You say, reaching the first floor.

Nicolas: "You woke up rather early today."

Y/N: "I couldn't sleep very well..."

Nicolas: "Yes, I can tell." He looks at your face but soon focuses his eyes somewhere else.

Nicolas: "Is he still sleeping?"

Y/N: "I think so, at least he didn't try to stop me from leaving the bed so I can only assume he's sleeping."

Nicolas: "I understand, yes...It's almost time to wake him up." Looking at you, he awaits words to leave your mouth; but he ends up not receiving any.

Nicolas: "I'll wake him!" After taking a few steps on his way upstairs, he stops and faces you.

Nicolas: "You know... I saw it happening and I've known him for a long time now." Turning his back to you, he looks upstairs now;

Nicolas: "You should listen to him. You don't have to forgive him... but listening to his side of the story is important." He stops talking and continues to walk up the stairs.

You start thinking about his words.
Perhaps you were too brute with him, and he does seem to like you very much.
Hearing Bonaparte hurrying, you decide to wait for him outside the hotel.
The crowd of people, from yesterday, are no longer here; but you can spot people peeking outside of their house's windows.
His army is ready; the soldiers and marshals are already mounted on their horses.

They eye you, trying to understand how a woman like you can have such an effect on an Emperor.
The door of the hotel violently opens; it's him.
Bonaparte talks to Nicolas while eyeing you.
Nicolas then approaches you and tells you that the Little Corporal would like to talk to you privately, before the trip.
You refuse.

Napoleon looks sad, his eyes search the dirty floor beneath him.
A carriage approaches the hotel; it's waiting for the Emperor.
He gets inside and looks towards you, with big puppy eyes, waiting for you to join him.
You also refuse this, and you tell him you'd like to go with Nicolas instead.

The carriage starts leaving, with four soldiers following it and Napoleon inside.
You can see him looking through the window, while it starts leaving the place.
Nicolas mounts his horse and asks for a soldier's help to assist you in getting up.
While you were trying to mount the horse, Nicolas moves himself forwards, to make more space for you behind him.

Ready as ever, a marshal gives an order to the whole army; the horses start to gallop at the same time, while you look behind you, at the hotel.
You sure won't miss this place, you think to yourself.

The camp wasn't too far from it either; it was hidden, like the previous one.
The road that leads to the hotel soon disappeared and you start to spot grass beginning to appear before you.
A small old windmill could also be seen in the distance.
Nicolas points at it and tells you that that's where they are heading.

It seems like a calm place, away from the civilization; from obnoxious noise; from everything.
Well, except from the enemy.
You start to brush your hair using your hands, it doesn't look really good but it gets the job done.
You spot Bonaparte's carriage just up ahead; your eyes lie to themselves by pretending you didn't see it.

Spotting soldiers already at the camp, finishing placing tables, tents, and campfire spots, you conclude that you've arrived.
The army stops soon after, and Nicolas gets out of the horse and helps you get out too.
Oh! Your gentle feet feel grass again, what a wonderful sensation.
You start spinning, with your arms fully extended, and looking at the sky; your eyes close themselves slowly.

A smile appears on your face, and you start taking deep breaths.
It feels like you've arrived home after many long years gone.
However, it's strange; you've never been here in your life, perhaps it's just nature hypnotizing you.
Bonaparte sees you like this. Happy...and takes this as an opportunity to come greet you.

But as soon as you spot him coming over, you run away; towards the windmill.
He sees this but stands still for a few minutes, thinking about how he should approach you and talk to you.

After his thoughts consume his mind, he finally gets the courage to go meet you.
Reaching the windmill, he looks for its entrance; until he spots you outside.
You don't notice him, as you are showing him your back, squatting, and picking up some flowers.
He approaches you quietly.

Napoleon: "Je suis désolé." (I'm sorry.) He says, in a very calm and soothing voice.

You turn around quickly and you notice him-
Napoleon: "Je suis vraiment désolé..." (I'm very sorry...)

Napoleon: "It wasn't my intention to hurt you, Y/N." Your eyes chase invisible birds in the sky; trying your best to not look at him but you soon fail.

Looking at his puppy face, you begin to speak to him.
Y/N: "Napoleon...I-"

He interrupts you.
Napoleon: "Ne dis pas Napoleon. Appelle moi Nappy..." (Don't say Napoleon. Call me Nappy...)

Y/N: "Nappy..." You correct yourself.

Y/N: "I..." You're hesitant to speak.

He says softly-
Napoleon: "Parle moi, chérie." (Talk to me, darling.)

Y/N: "I know you didn't mean to kiss her..."

Y/N: "It's just the thought of you kissing anyone else..." "That thought breaks my heart."

Y/N: "I'm sorry I was brute to you; You are so sweet to me like no other man is."

Napoleon: "Est-ce que tu me pardonnes?!" (Do you forgive me?!) You can feel his happiness through his voice.

Y/N: "Yes...give me a tiny hug." You say, locking your eyes on his.

He grabs you, very tightly; squeezing you but also making sure he doesn't hurt your chest.
Your fragile feet stop touching the ground for some seconds, he is lifting you up, but just a bit.
He starts gently rocking your body from the left to the right, from the right to the left, and so on.
Stopping the hug, he looks at you with gentle gray-blue eyes.

Napoleon: "Bisou?" (Kiss?)
You nod and smile at him.

He smiles back at you and gently places his lips on yours.
Closing his eyes, and you doing the same; he puts both of his hands on your back, pulling you closer to him.
A soldier approaches the Emperor and yourself.
Trying to break the kiss, you fail; he isn't letting you.

Purposely ignoring the soldier, he continues to kiss you.
You start rubbing your leg on his, until he moves his hand to grab it.
This time, a marshal appears; trying to help the soldier getting the attention he deserves.
Bonaparte finally breaks the kiss and uses his nose to Eskimo-kiss you.

Napoleon: "I can not lose you, Y/N. Tell me. Tell me I won't lose you."

Y/N: "You won't lose me, Nappy~"

He tilts his head to the right and a big grin is seen on his face; his teeth show themselves to greet you because of your words.
The marshal exclaims Bonaparte's name, telling him it's urgent and that he must come back to the camp immediately.
Napoleon grabs your hand and starts walking towards it.
Words escape the soldier's mouth, telling Bonaparte that you don't need to go; but Napoleon dismisses this and brings you along.

Worried about you, he asks the marshal if there's time to eat something, as you didn't have the chance to eat dinner yesterday.
The man responds with yes, but it must be quick.
You hold Napoleon's arm, he smiles and locks his eyes on yours while walking.
His mouth makes movements, but no sounds come out; However, you can tell, by these movements, what he is mouthing: "Je te rendrai heureuse ce soir." (I will make you happy tonight.)
Winking at you, he spots you blushing and looking away.

Napoleon: "I am glad you came with me, Y/N..." You tell him you're glad to be here with him too.

He murmurs to himself-
Napoleon: "Oh...Y/N...Ma petite Y/N..." (My tiny Y/N...)

An explosion is soon heard close to the camp!
The ground explodes and you can feel it shaking, like a mini earthquake.
Everyone starts yelling orders to each other; the marshal orders Napoleon to take cover as soon as possible.
He and the soldier go to the camp and begin helping the army fighting this, what it seems to be, ambush performed by the enemy.

Bonaparte looks puzzled as to what to do; either go fight or follow the marshal's wise words.
Unconsciously firmly grabbing his hand, you run towards the windmill while bringing him with you.
While running to this new hide spot, he loses his hat in the progress.
You locate the entrance of the windmill and you get in; he's still outside, looking at the camp; still thinking of what to do.

You grab him by his vest and pull him in;
Bonaparte falls on top of you and the door behind him closes violently.
Now, only shots from muskets and cannons firing are heard, while you two look at the windmill's wall.