9. Bad Hotel

A marshal approaches Bonaparte on his horse.
While hearing the horse's hooves violently press against the ground bellow you, you also hear the marshal speaking.
He is telling him that it's better to stop at a local hotel, so the army can get a final good rest before arriving at the camp.

Bonaparte, at first, dismisses the idea; but the marshal continued to talk about this topic, trying to convince him.
Success followed him. You come to this conclusion after you hear Napoleon's last words on the matter: 'Oui... Une bonne nuit de sommeil est importante.' (Yes... A good night's sleep is important.)
The horses change course by suddenly making a left turn; all of them coordinated with each other.

Bonaparte turns his head to the left, to try to look at you.
Napoleon: "We are stopping at a hotel first, Y/N."

Napoleon: "We will spend the night there, along with this small portion of my army. I hope this doesn't cause you much trouble." His left hand reaches for yours, grabs it, and kisses it.

Y/N: "No, not at all!" You blush.

While waiting to arrive there, your thoughts pay you a visit.
It's almost night time, so your stay at the hotel shouldn't take too long.
Hopefully, Bonaparte gets to sleep next to you again; the nights can get pretty cold and Napoleon seems to be a human heater.

During this visit made by your thoughts, you wrap your arms around his stomach;
Resting your head on his back, you close your eyes.
It's not a sleepy feeling that it's consuming you; it's a relaxing one.

You notice his breathing, and you focus on it.
This, to you, is more relaxing than the moment you had in the bath.
Bonaparte unconsciously smiles because of your actions.
Some soldiers around him notice it; and so, Napoleon suddenly stops smiling and puts on a more serious face.

An hour passes and you finally reach the hotel.
Civilians start to surround it, looking and admiring their Emperor.
They are talking too, but you can't understand any words that escape their mouth; it's too much noise made by too many people.
Bonaparte is the first one to get off his horse, followed by Nicolas.

They both help you get down, and the Emperor takes this opportunity to tell you a few words-
Napoleon: "Y/N, I must not be seen near you too much." He whispers.

Napoleon: "It is not publicly stated yet that I am seeing a new woman, and I don't need this kind of attention before a battle."

He starts walking away from you.
Even though you understand his position, his words hurt you.
And so, you let him know by softly pinching the back of his jacket sleeve and gently pulling it towards you.
He looks back at you and you greet him with a sad and innocent face.

Looking away, he continues to walk, whilst shaking people's hands.
He also occasionally, and secretly, looks back at you to see if your face shows that you're still hurt.
The fake smile forming on his lips to please the crowd is soon broken when a random woman appears from the multitude of people and kisses him.
His hat falls, and she grabs him by his greatcoat.

The eyebrows of the Emperor almost reach the sky; his eyes don't close.
He desperately tries to get the woman off of him, and soldiers come to assist him.
Your mind, however, deceives you at this moment.
You ignore his actions and focus solely on the kiss exchanged between them.

Nicolas is standing still next to you, with a surprised look on his face.
Grabbing him by his hand, you implore him to get you inside the hotel.
Noticing your eyes starting to get irritated, from the tears who were soon about to come out, he nods.
He walks with you, and you enter the hotel; the person standing on the counter, notices Bonaparte outside, through a window, and just gives Nicolas a room key without asking for money, or how long will their stay be.

Nicolas gives you the key and gestures you to go up the stairs.
He gets outside, to see better what's happening.
Bonaparte is finally freed from this strange woman's lips, with the help of soldiers.
The army warns the crowd that if something like that happens again to the Emperor, they will be arrested immediately.

The crowd stays silent for a few seconds, but then begin to continue to praise Napoleon.
Nicolas comes closer to Napoleon and grabs his hat which stood on the floor.
Giving it back to him, he notices him in great distress.
Bonaparte, after grabbing his hat, looks for you and doesn't find you; he begins to panic.

Oudinot explains to him that you are inside the hotel already.
After hearing this, Napoleon runs to the hotel and sees you, still standing next to the person handling the room keys.
You quickly run upstairs and he runs after you.
The eyes placed on your head, spot the room that your key belongs to.

While trying to insert the key into the keyhole, the object falls from your shaky hands.
You grab it and try once more to insert it again into the keyhole; success! the door moves brutely, away from you; and you barely succeed to get inside before Bonaparte reached you.
Slamming the door in his face, he knocks on it several times; exclaiming your name and asking for forgiveness.

Napoleon: "Y/N! Y/N! Please!" He yells while knocking on the door.
You stay silent.

Napoleon: "You must forgive me! She was the one kissing me, I did not want to kiss her, chérie!" (darling!)

Napoleon: "Que dois-je faire pour que vous croyiez mes paroles!?" (What must I do to make you believe my words!?)
Silence still haunts the air. He stops knocking so violently on the door. Resting now his forehead on the door.

Napoleon: "Speak to me... I will do anything for you to speak to me, Y/N..."
While listening to him speaking from the other side, your tears finally escape your beautiful eyes. You rest your forehead on the door too.

Napoleon: "If you don't talk to me, I shall wait. I will wait all night, right here. Outside of your room. Next to your door."
He begins to sit down, with his back against the door; looking down at his boots.

No longer hearing him, you start thinking about what happened.
You are obviously hurt by his words, before given to you, and his actions.
Putting yourself in his position, you come to agree with your thoughts about him preserving his image as an important figure.
Perhaps it's best to keep it a secret for a while.
This made his words still spiky, but not as much as before.

The image of him kissing another woman, right before you, difficulties your ability to put yourself in his position on this matter.
You get away from the door, and you lay down on your back in the bed;
Closing your eyes, you wish just to fall asleep and never wake up.

= 1 hour later =

Your wish was half fulfilled; you did fell asleep but you woke up.
Still in the same position as before, you look through the window placed on the wall of your room.
It's night time.
You are still sleepy, but your curiosity invades your mind and so you get out of bed to check on Bonaparte.

Getting out of bed, you feel your body extremely heavy.
You place your ear next to the door and hear nothing.
Looking for the emotional strength to open the door, you find it and so you open it, very slowly.
The room's door moves towards you.
Bonaparte is asleep, and he moves with the door's movement; he is still with his back to the door.

The sound of him quietly snoring melts your heart.
You start to feel bad about him sleeping here; although a guard is keeping him company, the floor is cold and he's using his greatcoat as the door's mat.
Sitting on top of it, so the coldness of the floor doesn't make contact with his body.
You decide to wake him up and tell him to go sleep in his room.

This time, you open the door violently, and so he falls on his back onto the floor; his face now next to your feet.
His eyes open themselves, and they look directly into your eyes.

Napoleon: "...Y/N...?" He says your name in a sleepy tone.

Y/N: "Please...just go to your bedroom." Your tone is sad and restless.

Napoleon: "Y/N. S'il vous plaît." (Please.) He gets on his knees and faces you.

Napoleon: "Let me explain."

Y/N: "It's too late right now, I want to sleep." He looks at you and notices your tired face.

Napoleon: "Let me sleep next to you."

Y/N: "The bed is too small, now go...please."

Napoleon: "That only means we will be closer to each other. Let us rest together, chérie. Please!"

A long sigh escapes your mouth.
Y/N: "Fine. Come inside, but first tell your guard that he can go to bed, just so he doesn't stay here all night."

He tells the guard to leave.
You take a few steps to the bed, and you cover your body with its sheets.
Bonaparte gets inside quickly and closes the door behind him; noticing that you are still dressed, he comments this to you.

Napoleon: "Aren't you undressing?"

Y/N: "No." You cover your face with the sheets too.

Napoleon: "Je comprends..." (I understand...)

While listening to Bonaparte taking off his vest you say in a cold tone-
Y/N: "I'd prefer you staying dressed too." He stops.

Looking at your covered body, his face expresses sadness.
Getting into the small bed, he makes sure to not touch you too much, just so you don't get upset.
After making sure you're already asleep, he gets closer and spoons you.
Holding you very tightly in his arms, he places his head on your shoulder and tries to sleep.