Chapter 2

Meredith and Jo called Arizona's number back multiple times, 6 to be exact, but all of them declined. It was Alex. Alex answered Arizona's phone, but if Arizona is in Seattle, then Alex is too.

Why? Why is he here? He left. When you leave your job, your family, your friends, you don't just come back for visits. You leave for good. Apparently Alex didn't understand that.

"Why is he here?" Jo paced again, between the attending lounges' sofas, head in her hands, almost shouting at Meredith, even though it's not her fault.
"J- Jo- I don't know, calm down. Have a seat." Meredith replied as quickly as she could, to the rhetorical question, but Jo ignored her and carried on pacing.
"He shouldn't be here. Oh my, God. Eve. What if he takes Eve?" Jo finally looked up at Meredith who was concerned but not as concerned as she was. "I can't lose her. She's my world. I can't lose her, not again-"
"Jo stop. Sit down. He's here but he might not be at the hospital for all we know. We don't know why he's here." Meredith interrupted. "It's going to be okay, just calm down. Have a drink of water. We can go talk to Bailey, and figure out if she knows why he's here's. Come on."
Meredith dragged an anxious Jo across the sterile halls of the hospital, and into the main nurses desk, where Bailey was, talking to Pierce and Shepherd about a patient, a 7 year old Jane Doe, who came through the ER less then 30 minutes ago with a pretty bad head lac, caused by a pre-existing heart condition that made her fall down concrete stairs.
"Bailey" Meredith shouted down the stairs of the main building.
Shepherd and Pierce were worried as to why Jo was hyperventilating and crying but they decided to step away from the angry Meredith Grey ; they both knew the consequences of that.

"Grey, Wilson, what can I do for you?" Bailey exclaimed, rather happily knowing how far ahead on paperwork and scut she is.
"Robbins and Karev are here, why?" Meredith snapped back quickly.
"Karev's here?" Bailey didn't look too happy hearing that, but the words that came out of her mouth said otherwise. "That's good, I need a peds surgeon for my Jane Doe. Where is he?"
"Wait so you don't know why he's here either?" popped up Jo from her hyperventilating self, but still struggling to breathe properly.
"No, Robbins and Torres came for another peds case but that's not till later tonight." Bailey looked and sounded confused at this point, questioning how we knew and she didn't. She always knows everything first.
"Torres is here too? I'm guessing they got back together then." Meredith whispered to Jo quietly whilst looking around suspiciously, so no one else knew or heard.
The three were interrupted by a call on Jo's phone.

Arizona Robbins is calling...

"It's Robbins" Jo left, going and sitting in one of the waiting room chairs in front of the main nurses desk as she still tried to find her breathe.
"Hello?" Jo said, hesitation in her raspy voice.
"Jo! Hi!! Sorry I was, u- uh with-" Arizona replies. At least it was actually her this time.
"With Callie?" Jo interrupted Arizona as she found it painful that she was stuttering.
Arizona chuckled nervously, "Uh yeah aha wow, how did you guess?"
Jo blatantly ignored the question and went straight to the point "Why is Alex with you?"
"He's not" is all the reply that Arizona decided to give back.
"Don't lie Az, I know he is. I can tell when you're lying, we were close before you went to New York with Herman and Sofia"
"Okay he's here but for a consult with some of the patients at Grey-Sloan. We tried to schedule it so that you wouldn't see him. How did you find out?"
"He picked up your phone. Why didn't you tell me?" Jo wasn't happy now, shes was infuriated with the fact her ex husband was here without warning.
"We haven't talked for a long time Jo, come on."
Arizona had a point.
"I'm sorry, Az. Meet up with me soon please, I miss you."
"Tonight, Joe's Bar, 7pm after my surgery."
"Okay."

The phone hung up, and Jo sat there for a few seconds starring at her homescreen. It was still Alex and her. She was mad at him, furious but she still loved him. She looked up to see Meredith and Bailey looking at the arch way, underneath the sign, none other than Alex Karev, a former husband, a former friend and a former colleague.

Jo got up as soon as he took one more step into the waiting area, shooting off to daycare, Meredith following soon after. Tears fell down Jo's face, constant tears. It reminded Meredith of when Cristina couldn't stop crying during her intern year. It was deja vu really. Jo sat in day care, head in her hands, tears soaking them with her baby on her lap, playing with building blocks. The smell of Evelyn's hair always calmed her down ; Meredith ran in, seeing this and immediately knew what was happening. Jo was having a panic attack, but she was also well aware of the power Eve's hair had over Jo and the way it made her focus on the life she brought into the world without the dad and how strong she truly is.

"Hey, Jo it's okay." Meredith squeezed Jo from the side, with her arm around her shoulder blades.
"It's not okay. He's going to take her Mer. I can't lose her again." Jo replied, voice breaking through each word, tears still falling.
"You didn't lose her then, and you're not going to lose her now. She's okay. She's happy and healthy. It's okay"
"She stopped breathing Mer. One night, just stopped breathing. That's not normal. We are surgeons, we know that." Jo was fully breaking down in the middle of a daycare centre. "I lost her. I lost him. I lost everything."
As her voice went raspy and broke more, Mer's heart shattered for her friend. She knew how much Eve meant to her. She knew the pain of losing people.

"Jo?" The same familiar voice from the phone came slowly walking through the daycare door, turning the heads of the two best friends, simultaneously.