Chapter 4

After Alex and Meredith both left the conference room, Meredith was paged to the ER for an emergent consult. She got there and it was calm, no big traumas, not even small traumas. Who paged her?

2 "Pshhh" sounds came from Trauma 1, simultaneously, turning Meredith's attention only slightly. It wasn't until someone grabbed her wrist and dragged her suddenly into the room, that she was fully focused. It was Amelia that grabbed her. For a small person, she was incredibly strong. Maggie stood beside her.
"Oww- uh what? Why did you drag me in here? Someone paged me to the ER."
"Oh, that was Maggie." Amelia chimed in, clearing any confusion for Meredith. "Why was Jo crying, in the main building earlier?"
"Was she okay?" Maggie finally got a word in between her sisters conversation. We all know these three like to hear everything and anything going on in this hospital, especially when they don't know it first.
"Alex is back."
"What?!" the neurosurgeon and cardiothoracic surgeons shouted in unison.
"Shh, calm down. Arizona, Callie and Alex are all back for some patients, and obviously Jo's freaking out because of Eve."
"Oh, my God." Amelia said, a bit stunned by the news.
"How long is he here for?" Maggie questioned.
"We don't know. Callie and Arizona also might be back together so there's that. They're here for 2 patients I think. Your Jane Doe and a young boy."
"Wow... wait so Arizona and Callie are back together?" Amelia questioned jokingly and rhetorically, "Damnit." The trio chuckled lightly.
"And, get this, Arizona asked both Alex and Jo to scrub in on her patient. Asking for tension there." Meredith added, looking and sounding fake shocked at her own news.
"Guys..." Maggie chimed in. "There's a trauma coming in... move." The three parted ways.

Owen came through into Trauma 1, questioning why the other door was slammed closed at the same time, but not caring as much as he cared for the patients life on the gurney. Especially when it's a patient he's friends with.
Arizona came rushing through the ER doors, following the gurney into the room, watching as the love of her life layed still on the table, one hand covering her mouth, other holding her 6 month year old son. "Callie! Owen you have to save her!"

Hunt didn't even know Arizona slipped into the room. "Robbins, out!"
"No, Hunt. Please!"
"Page Grey and Wilson, 911!"
"Callie..." All Arizona could do was curl up into a ball in the corner.
"Arizona, we are doing everything we can. Tell us the full story." Hunt asked, after finally intubating her.
"She.." Arizona's voice was shaking. "S- She was.. uh walking across the road, after lunch and the car didn't slow down. It hit her because she pushed Sofia out of the way. Sof- Sofia. Where's Sofia? Sofia!"
"Go, go look for her!" Hunt pressured her to leave, mainly because he didn't want her to see what he was going to do have to do next.
"You paged?" Grey said as both Wilson and her came through the sliding doors. "Callie?"
"Is that Torres?" Jo questioned as the snap of gloves hit her skin.
"Wilson, out. Go find Robbins." Grey ordered.
"Okay, yeah."

Jo immediately left, looking for her friend. Arizona was sat with Sofia who was getting sutures by Jackson, from a minor head laceration. They were both shaking.
"Hey."
"Hi." Arizona's attention didn't lift off of Sofia until she realised who she was actually talking to. "Wait, hi, wow hi." Now her attentions lifted.
"Are you okay? Do you need anything?"
"An update. How's Callie?"
"I got kicked out, I'm sorry I don't know."
Just as Jo said that, Arizona noticed Callie's gurney being rushed to the elevator. Her jaw dropped and tears fell from her eyes. She sunk into the chair behind her, putting her head on Sofia's hand. Meredith came over to give an update to Jo about what was happening.
"What's happening, Mom?" Sofia sat up, quickly, jogging Jackson as he was tying her 3rd stitch. "Oww, that hurt!"
"Sorry Sofia, can you try and stay still for me please?" Jackson said in the calmest voice possible.
Sofia just sat there, small tears down her puffy, red face, trying to over hear what Meredith was saying to Jo.

"She's got bad internal injuries, and is going to surgery now. I've had to page Shepherd for an in-surgery head CT as there's not time currently, but it doesn't look good."
"Oh, my God." Jo was shocked but more terrified for her friend. She turned around, as Grey walked away rushed to join them in the elevator, to find now 2 out of 3 of them were crying.
"Surgery?!" Sofia shouted, catching the attention of a panicked Arizona.
"No, no, no!" Arizona now had a new set of tears forming in her eyes. Jo knelt down and rubbed her friend's back in comfort.
"Mommy, is Mama going to be alright?"
Arizona didn't answer, she just rubbed her daughter's back like Jo was doing so.

A few moments later, Jackson was done with the stitches for Sofia, she had a total of 5, and Arizona saw her friend, Alex Karev, coming through the ER halls. She stood up, passing him her baby boy to take to day care.
"What's his name?" Jo asked.
"Michael Everett Robbins-Torres." Both Alex and Arizona said abruptly.
"Michael after Alex's middle name, Everett after Mark's." Arizona explain in further detail, as she teared up yet again.
"I love it. You should have told me about him, he's so cute!" Jo said, trying to distract Arizona.
"You should have told me too." Alex said, directed at Jo, giving her an cruel eyebrow lift, and blunt expression, before walking away to take Michael to daycare. Jo followed him, shortly after.

Jo caught up to Alex, as he childishly stomped away. She was confused but knew he knew now. No thanks to Meredith.
She grabbed his wrist lightly, spinning him around. "Yes, she's yours but that gives you no right to act like this. I didn't tell you because I wasn't going to interrupt your perfect life with perfect Izzie, with perfect children on a perfect farm. I wasn't perfect enough for you. You left me. You have absolutely no right to be mad at me. You kept 2 kids from me, for weeks, giving me no explanation on your whereabouts. So stop. Going through this all alone was hard enough. If you are just going to make comments, make comments to your new wife in Kansas." Jo made a scene in the middle of the ER, catching everyone's eyes and everyone's full attention, even the patients in endless amounts of pain. It was like a soap opera to them. Alex went red, and embarrassed. He grabbed Jo's hand and pulled her into one of the Trauma rooms, putting Michael down on the bed, shutting the door and closing the curtains immediately.

"Izzie died."
Jo's facial expressions dropped in less then a second. She wasn't proud of herself. She wasn't even sure what she was now.
"She died, over a year ago now. I had to fight for shared custody of the twins because her Mom was going to take them to live on the trailer park full time. That's one of the reasons I'm here. I'm moving back."
"Alex, I didn't know. I'm so sorr-." Her heart broke for him, no matter what happened in the past, he didn't deserve that to happen to him or his kids.
"Don't be." Alex looked down to the floor, in shame as if it was his fault she died. "It was cancer again. More aggressive this time."
"Alex. I'm sorry." This is the one time she was tearing up for a reason other then protecting her own child. She pulled him into a hug, a hug that felt like 1000 different feelings all at once, a hug that felt like it lasted only second but also an eternity. The best type of hug. Alex pulled away slightly, holding her face with one hand, starring into the eyes of the woman he loved, and possible still loves. He subconsciously knew never stopped loving her.

Without warning, they kissed. A kiss worth 1000 kisses. A kiss that made up for all the kisses they've missed over the last 2 years. Sweet. Well deserved.
Familiar.

The impact of a simple hug can be a lot.