Chapter 6

Alex came in silently, with a banana and blueberry muffin in one hand for Jo, checking the time on his wrist on the other, as he held Eve on his hip. 7:23am. Jo's eyes began to adjust to the bright, white light shining down on her as she woke up from a sleep that felt as if it lasted years.

"You need to eat, and then your neuro check but after that, we can get the discharge papers."
Jo didn't want to say anything. She was too sleepy to do that, so she instead just nodded.

20 minutes past, Amelia and one of the residents entered the room, following up for the neuro examine. Although she was confident it was okay, it was still protocol to do the examine.
"Alex, out. You aren't her doctor." Amelia said, confused on why Jo was allowing him to be in the room, let alone holding the baby.
"I want him in here." Jo smiled, looking up at her baby's dad. It was the first thing she had said since she woke up.

"Okay. Well. Any pain?"

"Nope."

"Okay, Jo, repeat these words. Banana. Circus. Fork."

"Banana. Circus. Fork."

"Hands out, flat."

Jo followed every order that Shepherd gave her, axing everything.
"Okay, it's all good. I'll get the discharge paperwork and then you're free to go."

Jo smiled lightly, motioning for her baby once they left the room.
"Hi, baby. Do you want to go home? Yes, yes. I do too." She said as he tickled her baby's stomach making her laugh.

Alex chuckled at the sight of them playing, knowing how much he wanted that bond with her, but once Jo was at home and safe, and he knew she and Eve would be okay, he had things to sort out.

Alex and Jo left the hospital at about 10am, after getting visited by Bailey, telling Jo that she had to take a leave of absence for 2 weeks to heal and rest up like she should have been doing. Jo hated the fact she did this to herself and blamed herself completely, and Alex reassured her that it wasn't her fault.

Jo and Alex sat quietly on the way home, in the car, listening to the radio on low volume. Alex broke the silence.

"I'm sorry. This all happened because I wasn't there for you Jo, and I promise I will be from now on. I should have been there."

"Alex, it's not your fault. I pushed myself too hard."

"Yeah, because you didn't have anyone."

"I had Meredith." Jo paused. She forgot to tell Meredith about her and Alex, or about her leaving the hospital today.

"You still have Meredith but she has her own kids as well. You needed me and I wasn't there. I'm sorry."
Alex placed his free hand on her top of her hand, with his other hand on the steering wheel. They both smiled at each other, subtly but they were aware.

A call came through on the car's bluetooth.

Arizona Robbins is calling...

Jo clicked accept.

"Hey, Az. You oka-."
Before Alex could finish his sentence, Arizona burst into tears as she said the lines they'd all be questioning whether they'd hear.
"Callie's awake! She woke up!"

"What? Really? That's great news." Alex replied, happily with a big smile on his face.

"That's amazing." Jo chimed in.