Chapter 10

"Alex, slow down. Stop! You need to calm down and stop for a moment!"
"Alex! Stop!"
You could hear three sets of footsteps running through the halls of the hospital, travelling circles, up stairs and into the main lobby at last. Jo and Meredith chasing after Alex was exhausting for them, so how he would have felt knowing he had surgery not too long ago would be excruciating.
"S-stop running in the- Karev? Karev stop!" The trio passed Bailey in their adventures, catching her attention immediately. "Alex!"
Bailey's words were the only words that made him stop and take a breath, finally. Not long after, Meredith and Jo stopped and sat down as well.

"What in the name of Jesus happened? Why are you running through the halls?" Bailey exclaimed, slightly nudging Alex over to a chair in the main lobby, so he could finally rest, without having to clutch his ribs.
"Eli... he... passed..." Meredith said, panting her way through each of the words.
"Oh, my God. Alex." Bailey's hand went to snake around his shoulders to comfort him.
"Stop. Don't touch me. Leave me alone."
"Alex-." Jo said, reaching for his hand. He swiped it away, and snapped.
"Jo. Just got away! All of you go away."
All three of them were taken back by the actions of Alex, but they weren't surprised. If Tucker, Eve or any three of Meredith's kids had passed away, they probably would have reacted the same and would want to be left alone. The three of them went to follow his wishes, and left, even though the last thing they'd want for him to be, is alone right now.
"Alex, I'm here for you. Don't push me away. I've got you." Jo said, gently, as she pushed herself up from the chair, using the top of his thigh as a guide. Alex grabbed her hand, lightly, motioning her to sit down. His breathing was back to normal now. Well, as normal as it could be after running what seemed like a marathon around the massive surgical floor of a hospital.

"I'll stay. If you want me to stay, I'm here." She sat back down, and placed her small hand in his, intertwining their fingers. He knew Eli was gone, but it still didn't feel real. Not until Meredith said it outloud in front of him. It finally kicked it, and the denial stopped. Alex rested his head on Jo's shoulder, crying silently. She wasn't aware of how he felt and couldn't comfort him. She had a million thoughts and distractions, but instead, she just let him be, and ran her fingers through his greying hair. They sat there for hours, just in silence, holding one another. No interruptions. Anyone who dared to come near them was scared off by Jo. Any pager that went off for them at the front desk was redirected, no matter the situation.

"Come on. Let's get up. We should go see Alexis." It was now half 10, and visiting hours were
most definitely over, but they didn't care. They needed to be together as a family, even if Jo and Alexis barely knew each other. Jo stood up first, then eventually helping Alex up. He felt weak. He looked weak. Alex paused in his tracks on the way to the elevator, leaning on his portable I.V.
"Eli was so good with Eve. He sat in the front, but the whole time he was so focused on Eve in the back. He would have been perfect for her to have as an example." The pair smiled, and carried on waking. No reply was necessary for the words that just came out of Alex's mouth. No more pain was needed to be caused. They made it to room 0907. Right next to Alex's.

Knock. Knock. Knock.

Three light, secluded-sounding knocks came from the outside of the door.

"Yes?" A quiet, medium pitched voice came from inside the room. The door opened. In came the pair.

— — — — — — — — -

Loud cries came from the room, echoing throughout the hallways. It was a mixture of Alex's and Alexis'. Jo exited, closing the door swiftly behind her, turning and spying Meredith.
"Mer, can we put them two in the same room? Like we did for April and Matthew after their accident? They need to be together."
"Yeah, I'll get a nurse to do it." They slowly started walking towards the nurses desk. "How are they?"
Jo just stared blankly, unable to put the pain she is witnessing them going through into words.
"That bad then?" Meredith placed the tablet down, whispering to the nurse, arranging the room situation. "Maybe if I bring Zola, Bailey and Ellis in to see Alex, he'll be okay? I just don't know how to help."
"Neither do I. The only thing we can do is be there for them." Silence pondered between the two, and then a quick breathe. "I'm going to go up to daycare, then hom, I need to be with Eve. Goodnight." A brisk smile fell upon their faces, and just as quickly as it was there, it was gone.