Chapter Twenty-One

"Harry!" Hermione rushed down the stairs of the tower, "Harry, wait!"

Her friend skidded to a halt on the common room landing and she crashed into him.

"Sorry," she breathed. Harry helped her up without a word and turned to walk away. Hermione grabbed his arm and pulled him back.

"Harry, please," she begged, and the boy relented. She dragged him into the small first-floor library and was relieved to find it empty. With a flick of her wand, she lit the fire and the room came to life.

"Listen, Hermione, I- I shouldn't have come in without knocking but the door was open," he began staring at the floor.

"Harry please don't tell anyone," she surprised herself by saying, her voice barely a whisper. 

Harry looked up at her, surprised. 

She didn't know what had just happened in that room, she didn't even know how she felt, but she definitely knew she wanted to keep it to herself until she figured it out.

"Just be careful," he said, eyes burning with something she didn't recognize, "maybe look up the sleeve of his left arm once in a while."

He walked past her and closed the door behind him.

Hermione let out a small gasp at her best friend's hateful words and tears welled in his eyes. She stood in the center of the room as it seemed to shrink around her. Desperate for air, she snuck out of the common room, avoiding her friends' concerned looks, and ran.

She sped to a sprint, lungs aching, as the whispers of passing students surrounded her. It wasn't until she was finally away from the reach of prying eyes, hidden under the shade of her favourite tree by the lake, that she finally stopped, relieved. She slid down to the ground, the damp earth cool under fingers, and she lay her back against the bark of the tree.

She snapped her eyes shut, as her mind raced, and confusing images flashed relentlessly.

Malfoy standing at the door of their room, hair ruffled by the wind and cheeks flushed from the cold.

His lips crashing against hers, soft and inviting.

A flash of emerald between golden locks of hair.

Hands running up and down her back.

Harry's incredulous look.

Her legs wrapped tightly around Draco's waist.

The glint of a knife followed by psychotic laughter.

His body pressing her against the wall, nerves tingling.

His ring-studded hand grabbing the back of Gabrielle's head.

Her own face flushed with anger.

Silver eyes filled with lust and desire staring brazenly into hers.

Strong arms holding her, pulling her into safety as her world collapsed around her.

Malfoy standing at the other end of the room stone-faced, eyes fixed on her.

A low, guttural groan.

Her back arching off the floor as she twists in agony

His hand slowly crawling up her leg

An unforgivable curse and pain rushing through her bones.

Mint.

Her eyes flew open and she stared at the lake, heartbeat hammering in her ears. She pulled out her wand and flicked it towards the water. Small droplets of water floated out of the surface and with a complicated movement of her wand, she made them join and expand, changing shapes.