Chapter 7

Adrienne

By the time I entered my sophomore year, Robin and Elaina had made my life utterly unbearable. They sought ways to make me suffer under their roof as much as possible. When it wasn't Robin at home, it was Elaina at school. Violet wasn't so much as terrifying as she was annoying. She had a habit of stealing things from my room and I made sure to install a lock that only locked with my key on my door. Robin was too self-absorbed to notice the modifications I made and I wasn't inclined to tell her.

Robin had taken to keeping up with her abuse. Riley grew worried, as I quickly withdrew. I was more content to be alone than to be around too many people and Elaina saw that as a chance to make me even more miserable. Dad didn't seem to really notice, happy with his life with Robin.

If the laundry wasn't done, I'd get hit. If the floors weren't vacuumed, I'd get hit. If the bathroom wasn't spotless I would get hit again. I couldn't hang out with Zayne as often and he quickly realized something was up. I reassured him everything was fine.

Zayne and I never brought up the kiss again, but it lingered. Even in high school, I could see that Zayne had grown even more. He was the king, decimating anyone on the field, while everyone wanted a piece of him. I was content however to stick with my corner of the school, trying to survive. Girls threw themselves at him, but Zayne seemed uninterested, his eyes always lingering on me. A dark part of me wondered if he was attracted to me and how I felt about it. I couldn't deny that something had irrevocably shifted between us. I was attracted to him and every damaged part of him.

The dynamics of our friendship had changed. I was beginning to recognize that he wanted me in a different way. I wasn't sure if I was ready for that kind of relationship, but he didn't seem to care. Once, he even cornered me and landed a surprise kiss on me.

"What was that for?" I asked, as I lingered in the parking lot, looking up at him.

Did anyone see us? Zayne grinned down at me, as he hiked up his duffle back full of gear over his shoulder, showing off his toned torso. He had grown hardened. I knew he was still living with his dad, but now I was certain his dad didn't dare to try and touch him. Zayne would've knocked his dad out in an instant.

He had grown even taller, if that was even possible. He stood at a whopping six-foot seven inches of hard man. He even got stronger and he practically towered everyone at school, except for maybe Damian. They were both defensive linebackers for the team.

His glittering gray gaze bore down on me, his meaning clear. "It's a reminder."

A reminder of what?

I didn't need to voice it out loud. Zayne was intent on ensuring that I was hyper aware of him at every turn, even though I hadn't addressed our changing relationship. He nodded, before calling out. "I'll see you around, Adrienne."

I shook my head and got into my car.

I got my permit a while back, so I was only permitted to drive to and from school. Somehow, Robin made sure to take advantage of me as I became both Violet and Elaina's personal chauffer.

Riley got in the passenger seat, as she waited for me. "Care to explain what that was?"

Riley knew about the kiss. I shook my head, as I started my car. "It's nothing."

"I just saw Zayne kiss you in the parking lot," Riley pointed out. "That's not nothing."

"Yeah?" I joked. "Want to tell me what's going on with you and Damian?"