Chapter 10

Zayne

"You have some fucking nerve," Adrienne blasted me, as we stood out front in the front yard. The cool night air surrounded us, as Adrienne turned to look up at me, crossing her arms. "You have about ten seconds to explain what the hell that was because that was completely uncalled for," she warned me.

She was right, but I wasn't going to admit that. "Marcus should've kept his distance," I simply replied.  My gaze remained hard, anger pulsing in my veins at the thought.  I knew I was still riled by the whole situation, but for the life of me, in the face of Adrienne's indignation, I couldn't seem to some to tame it down.

I wanted a fight, apparently.

Adrienne exploded, as she got in my face. "Are you fucking kidding me? You were making out with Elaina—"

"—she kissed me," I pointed out, my anger dialing down, now that I knew she was trapped in the darkness with me. I was pleased by the thought. I had her all to myself. "Trust me, I didn't ask for it."

Adrienne eyed me, her jaw clenching tightly. "Okay, fine, but you don't get to dictate to me who I get to hang out with, Zayne. We aren't kids—"

I growled. "No. One. Touches. You."

Silence lapsed between us. The partygoers were beginning to spill out from the house, as if it couldn't contain the drunken herd of teenagers.  The revelry of the party-goers was a stark contrast to the serious tension that lingered between us.  I waited in silence for her to speak.

As if some of the anger drained out of her, Adrienne blew out a breath and shook her head, refusing to acknowledge my statement as something more. She dropped her head, before lifting it back up to face me, renewing her efforts at a civil conversation. "We can't keep doing this. You can't keep unleashing on every guy who decides that they want to—"

"What?" I challenged her, my voice growing hard. "He was dancing with you...he touched you...I don't tolerate that lightly..."

"You don't get it, do you?" Adrienne said, as I was suddenly struck by the change in her mood. "No one gets to tell me how to live my life or who I hang out with, least of all you! I respect you Zayne as a friend, I really do, but that doesn't give you license to go around threatening guys I might want to—"

She trailed off, unsure of her next words. The rage surged once more. "Want to what, Adrienne?" I asked her, as I took another step forward, dominating every inch of space.  A sick part of me liked the silent.parting of.her lips and the widening of her eyes as she recognized the threat. "You want to fuck him, is that it?"

Adrienne leveled me a gaze. "Who I fuck is none of your business—"

I didn't let her finish, as I hauled her once more and kissed her.

This time I wasn't gentle. I possessed her mouth with a ruthlessness to claim. I didn't fool myself into thinking I could do gentle and romantic. I was never the guy who was capable of such a thing, especially as I grew up as fucked up as I had. I even fucked like a man possessed when I wanted to chase the release, eager to forget the shit that was my life. It seemed like Adrienne was the only good thing that anchored me.  A darker part of me wanted to bind her to me in every inexplicable way.

I swept her into the hardness of my body, as I tilted her head back, angling it so she had no choice but to give in. If I was going to relish this kiss, I was going to make sure she remembered it, too.

I felt the anger that wrapped around her body, as she kissed me back. Triumph erupted at her response, as we dueled with each other. I felt her breasts crush against me and right now, I wanted to hike her up and—