Chapter 16

Adrienne

I whipped around, the slight breeze in the air, pushing the strands of my hair behind me. "What did you just say?"

I was hearing things, right? I studied him carefully and in the twelve years, Zayne had grown hardened. I could no longer find any traces of the boy I once knew. Instead, he manifested every bit of a man that he was-ruthless and dominating.

He was broader, more muscular, standing at his full six-foot seven height. He was built like any NFL linebacker and in his custom-fitted suit, he attracted all sorts of female attention. Add to his dark demeanor and the alluring sexual magnetism he exuded and he was a wet dream come to life.

The enigma of the man was the most devastatingly attractive part about him. His stormy gray gaze had a way of bearing down on your sole, unveiling every dark secret of yours. He had a way of twisting you up, until you didn't know who you were and his commanding presence demanded respect from those around him.

He knew how to play people. I had watched him before as he mingled with the guests. He didn't just climb to the top of the ladder in this world without understanding how the human mind worked. He played on people's fears, jealousy, and desires. He learned to make it to the top because he had to survive his dad's moods and it helped if you understood how they thought.

Even now, as I took in the sharp, chiseled features of his face, his square jawline, coupled with this dark, handsome features, was all-consuming. His hair was cut short on the sides and left fuller up top, styled in a way that added to his darker appeal, but it was his gray eyes that lured you in to a false sense of security with this man. Cross him and you paid the consequences.

Because evidently, I had somehow done him dirty.

"You heard me."

"Repeat yourself because I'm having a lot of trouble believing you just threatened Riley and Naomi, just to get me to comply," I challenged. My features twisted into one of dark anger, as I wanted to rain down my wrath. "So help me god, if you ever think of touching them-"

"You walk away and I'll make sure Riley and Naomi never get another job again. They'll be blacklisted and I'll make sure to have them destitute and they'll know who to blame for all of their misfortune."

"You're bluffing," I said, feeling wary. This fucker couldn't be serious, right? However, the serious expression on his face had me doubting my own assessment. He certainly had the influence and the power. I didn't see why he couldn't very well move mountains to make that happen no matter how unethical it may be. The worst part of it was that Zayne knew I wouldn't voluntarily risk the livelihoods of my friends for my own selfish reasons.

"You won't piss Damian off, just for the sake of whatever twisted vendetta you have against me," I argued.

"You think I wouldn't?" Zayne answered with a raised brow. "You want to challenge me on that? You think he's concerned about being able to support her if she's unable to get a job?"

Part of me knew he was right. Damian wouldn't mind and in fact I half-suspected he would rather enjoy having Riley at his beck and call. The only reason why he was supportive of her passions and career ambitions is because it made her happy and it was what gave her a sense of self-accomplishment. The two of us would drop the men in our lives in a heartbeat if they ever thought to interfere in our passions negatively. We were our own individual with agency.

"Maybe not, but I guarantee you that if you interfere in Riley's happiness, Damian's going to have a few choice words to say to you. She'll find out and rain hell on you. Are you prepared for that?" I spelled out.