Part II, Chapter 14

Twelve Years Later, Present Day

Adrienne,

Oh fuck.

There were a lot of people.

Paparazzi and reporters were stationed outside, eager to photograph anybody who flouted the kind of celebrity-like status that was known to attend the wedding of the century. It was surreal and a little strange watching all of the immaculately-dressed elite mingle with each other, while a horde of eager people were determined to catch a glimpse of all of them. My gaze constantly wandered back to the front of the house or along the hedges, wondering if someone would pop out and snap a picture of me by accident, mistaking me for someone important. I should have been reassured by all of the high-detail security that the groom had shelled out for, but it did little to settle my nerves.

I was normally careful, but I knew I was taking a huge risk being here. So it went without saying that I was a little on edge. While those around me happily laughed and enjoyed themselves, I felt a little off-kilter.

Even after twelve years.

It was a very beautiful ceremony. The reception took place at the groom's massive estate. I was astounded by the luxury of it all, never having attended something so lavish. The backyard had been transformed into a white wonderland with garlands of flowers and white table-clothed tables dotting the space, with sweeping views of the vineyard beyond it. A majestic, long fountain with water spewing into the basin below, became a beautiful focal point, just beyond it. Kids, dressed in their finest ran around the yard.

It was all so idyllic.

I would have gladly appreciated the luxury, but I couldn't help shake off the nerves that assailed me at every turn. It was the heightened sense of paranoia that exhausted me. It was too close to home, to the threat that was forever there to feel at ease. A feeling of dread had overtaken me, but I ruthlessly suppressed it.

I watched the couple share a dance, the groom looking handsomely tall and well-built from his college football days and Riley in a beautiful, white dress, laced with gold, hugging her lean figure, before it swept out in a long train. She looked so ethereal like an angel, with the wealth of her blonde hair cascading down the elegant sweep of her back, interlaced with pearls and flowers in some sort of intricate, voluminous, boho braid. A look of adoration settled on Damian's face, as he gazed down at his beautiful bride. Riley looked almost mesmerized.

I got the invitation months ago from Riley. It was still hard to imagine that Riley and Damian had tied the knot, my shock compounded by what knowledge I had of Riley's feelings towards Damian. We kept in touch since I left, but the sudden news of her impending nuptials threw me.

In ten years, Damian had climbed his way up the corporate ladder and was now the owner of his own multi-billion dollar empire, encompassing resorts and hotels and multiple stocks and investments. Riley had established her own interior-design business, specializing in luxury homes and staging appearances. She even once ventured to do a staging for a movie set which was kind of cool.

I remained transfixed by the sight of the two of them. It was hard to imagine how much had changed in the past few years. While the world seemed to move on, I still felt stuck in the past. I was always pulled back by the nightmares, reminding me that my pain would always be a part of who I was. While I had fled, escaping my stepmother's continued abuse, I was grateful that I had the chance to heal and deal with everything that had happened.

After I had left, I continued to remain in touch with Riley. Our lives got busier as we both went off to college and then after I went off to graduate school. We spoke on and off about men in our lives, (well mostly, Riley all things considering), so Damian's reentry into Riley's life had come as a shocker, especially considering I hadn't realized that he had proposed shortly after.