Ch.9 Birthday Fun

Janice's POV
As soon as the last bell rang I was literally dragged out of school and shoved into Em's car.

"Where are we going?" I asked.

"We need to go home and get dressed and then we're going to the restaurant and meeting your family and my brother. Oh, and after that, we'll be going somewhere together," she answered.

I sighed thinking about how much work this would be.

"At least pretend to be a little appreciative."

"I wasn't the one who said I wanted something big for my birthday," I responded.

She rolled her eyes turning on the radio.

After about an hour, we arrived at the restaurant. We walked in dressed casual formal. I don't even know what that's supposed to be, but Em picked out my outfit so I look fine. Emilia on the other hand looked stunning. Her hair was pulled up into a braidy bun thing that I don't understand. Her floral purple dress flowed back and forth with each step taken with her blocked sandals.

She spoke with a hostess that led us to our reserved table where our families were waiting. Dinner went smoothly with a casual conversation between all of us. I won't admit this to Em, but I did enjoy our dinner outing. It was so relaxed, and it was the first time in a long time that I felt comfortable while being so social.

We finished dinner a couple of hours later and said goodbye to our guests. We got in the car again and soon realized we weren't headed back to my house.

"Where are we going?" I asked exasperated just wanting to go home and fall asleep.

"Stargazing," she said shortly.

Did I sound too rude? She did plan this whole night on such short notice. What am I thinking being so ungrateful? I mentally scolded.

"C'mon," she said opening her door.

"right," I said not seeing that she had parked.

I looked around. We were in the grassy clearing. I looked around and smiled. The stars looked beautiful.

"Come sit," she called, patting the space on the mat next to her that she had rolled out.

We sat in silence observing the stars. It was a comfortable silence. We used to do this when we were kids, sitting for hours not talking, just observing. But something was distracting me. The gap between us, the look in her eyes, the beautiful outfit she was in, or probably just her.