(Pt.6) The new girl

Kageyama stepped forward. "Oikawa?"

"Yahoo, Tobio-chan."

Kageyama backed down for the time being to collect his thoughts. He wasn't mentally prepared to go head to head with oikawa again so soon. Not after their last match.

"Ohhhhhhh, it's the great king!" Hinata's eyes sparkled. It was funny to me seeing their two different reactions to the third year.

"Hello chibi chan~" Oikawa looked down at the small energetic Hinata. Unlike Kageyama, Hinata was excited to face off against oikawa again.

Oikawa's eyes drifted and fell on me. His gaze soften, and he smiled. The embarrassment rushed to my cheeks causing them to flush a bright red. I couldn't hold eye contact, and looked away. After a second, I peaked back over to see if his eyes were still on me, but they weren't. He had shifted his gaze on to the next volleyball event.

"I'm sure everyone here is already well acquainted, and even if you haven't met a team in person, I'm sure you've watched some of their matches. The teams we have here are fukuroudani, nekoma, karasuno, and aoba johsai. Sadly, our other teams who usually come couldn't make it, but the gap was filled by aoba, so thank you for coming such a long distance-"Coach nekomata began. I started to tune him out, looking around the gym. I didn't notice it before, but everyone seemed divided. All of the teams were huddled in a circle around nekoma's coach, while the rest of coaches talked together in a corner, bragging about how great their team has gotten and how their definitely going to nationals. The managers plus me stood in a straight line across the back wall, notebooks in hand, watching everything, taking in as much information about other teams as they could. I started to see just how much managers meant to the teams.

I looked over to my right to see who the other managers were, and I just couldn't quite place my finger on their vibe, almost like they were keeping to themselves. It was nothing like the boys where they were excited to see each other again. The other managers were hostile and quiet. They didn't seem to know each other at all.

"-and if you look behind you, you'd see your lovely mangers who do more than you could ever imagine so when you get the chance in between games, don't forget that they're here." Coach nekomata continued. I don't know what words connected the teams to the managers, but now all eyes were on us, and by us I mean mostly me. I can't blame them. I was a new face among the crowd. I looked down trying not to bring much attention to myself, but I don't think it worked. "The first two matches will be fukuroudani vs karasuno and nekoma vs aoba, so let's go! Hustle! Hustle!"

The teams scrambled, and moments later, the whistle blew, signaling it was time for the first serve. My eyes stayed on karasuno, but as for Yachi and Kiyoko, their notebooks were open, eyes on fukuroudani.

[Akaashi POV]
Karasuno had gotten better, especially at blocking. It was starting to get bokuto down, but it was his fault they were blocking a lot of his spikes. What did he think would happen if he taught them some tricks? Especially one of the tallest people on their team, tsukishima. I watched as his performance tanked. The other members looked at me, and I nodded, signaling that it was time to switch it up.

For the rest of the first set, I didn't send the ball to Bokuto, but our team was still losing. For the next set, we'd have to get bokuto back on his feet. Looks like this game would go on for three sets instead of two like I had hoped.

The whistle blew, ending the first set. We were allowed a break since this was only a training camp. This was my chance to get bokuto in tip top shape.

"Your playing is off." I handed him a bottle of water. A towel wrapped around his neck and he rubbed the sweat from his face.

"It is?" He asked. "My bad." His voice was different. He wasn't complaining about my bluntness of his terrible plays and making a fuss, and did he apologized? Instead his voice was calm. He took a sip of his water, then wiped the excess from his mouth. Something was definitely wrong here. His gaze fell slightly past the net over where karasuno were taking their break. I tried to pinpoint exactly where he was looking.

"Say," bokuto continued, "who do you think that is?" He asked, referring to a girl that was helping out the two known mangers and talked to the team about the game.

"A manager I would assume." I responded.

"That wouldn't make much sense to have three managers though. One is normal. Two is normal if the manager is a third year like shimizu is, but three? I don't think so."

Bokuto using his brain for once made my brain hurt, but what he was saying did make sense. "We can just ask her ourselves later."

"Yeah. Yeah okay." Bokuto stood up, removing the towel from around his shoulders, and setting his water down. He smiled bright before saying, "Let's finish this quickly."

~~After practice~~
"We lost every game against karasuno!" Bokuto cried.

"Well who's fault do you think that is? You got all curious about that girl and you couldn't focus." I nagged. "Plus, you shouldn't only focus on your losses. We have a couple wins against nekoma and aoba johsai too."

"Yeah but-"

"No buts. We get to meet her now anyways, so hurry up before she goes to third floor and we can't see her."

[Your POV]
"What's up Bokuto? Akaashi?" I said as they drew near.

"You already know us?" Bokuto asked surprised.

"Of course I do!" I smiled. "Oh but you must not know me. I'm (y/n). Nice to finally meet you in person."

"Are you another manager for karasuno?" Akaashi asked, getting straight to the point. Wasn't Akaashi a second year and Bokuto a third year? Oh well, age doesn't matter on the volleyball team. A teams' a team, or so I've learned from karasuno.

"No, I just tagged along with my dad since he's the coach."

"Coach Ukai?" They both asked at the same time.

"Yep. That's the one."

"(Y/n)! It's our turn to take a bath!" Kiyoko called over to me.

"I've gotta go but, see you around!" I waved as I jogged over to the door where Kiyoko was waiting, and we walked together.

"Bokuto and akaashi huh?" She smirked.

"All we did was talk!" I blushed. There was no need for me to get defensive, but I did anyways. "I feel like everyone here is just towering over me. At least me, Hinata, nishinoya, and Yachi are around the same height as me."

She laughed. "It's okay. They're quite interesting characters, though I'd have to say, they're not really my type."

"What is your type then?" I asked as we reached the bath.

"Hm," she started to think, then she looked down at me. "Someone about your height, (h/c) hair, (e/c) eyes, someone who has a bright smile, but is also pretty naive for their age."

I pondered on what she said for a moment. Who in the world could she be talking about? She's one of the few girls I know that wants a guy shorter than her though. After our bath, we went back to the room, and layed out where we were going to sleep. Kiyoko and Yachi stayed up going over some of the notes they took today, but since I had no manager duties. I went to sleep early.

(Thank you guys for all of the support so far!)