ᶜʰᵃᵖᵗᵉʳ ᶠᶦᵛᵉ

┌ ┐
ᴛᴇᴏᴛᴡᴀᴡᴋɪ
└ ┘

"I was in the dining room dry-canning some beans when an angel fell from the damn sky and crashed in my backyard!" MJ had never been a religious person, especially since the world she knew had come to an unfortunate end

"I was in the dining room dry-canning some beans when an angel fell from the damn sky and crashed in my backyard!" MJ had never been a religious person, especially since the world she knew had come to an unfortunate end. She would pray occasionally, when a relative was sick or at the dinner table on an evening, her mom and brother by her side when she actually did partake. The brunette found it difficult to believe there was any sort of higher power with all the misery in the world.

Marie Jana had zoned out of the woman's speech, her rugged voice transforming into an indistinguishable drone as the teen simply sat and stared, nothing in particular catching her tired eyes. Despite the comfort of her own bed and a roof over her head, sleep was a luxury not afforded to MJ; her mind simply too polluted with negativity to properly rest.

She didn't know the girl that had died, she's heard the name Charlene mentioned once or twice, nor would she have recognised her if not for the small portrait that sat neatly beside the speaker. 

Why isn't Travis's picture up there? 

It was a selfidh thought, MJ knew it. Few knew of Travis Manawa but he was special to those who did, to his daughter, the girl who felt so broken and alone yet couldn't escape the company of those she despised. "Hello." The vocie of Madison Clark removed the grieving girl from her trance as the mother stood from her chair. "I just want to introduce my family. I'm Madison Clark, and these are my children." Each of the Clarks and Marie Jana Manawa nodded their heads slightly as their condolences were offered for those lost to the cruel world they lived in. "We've lost loved ones too. Travis."

At the mentioned of her father's name the brunette immediately averted her gaze, her throat constricting to let only the smallest of breaths through its grasp. A wave of chills passed over her body, leaving goosebumps all over her crossed arms and ending just shy of her clenched fists. The pressure on her wounded hand split the barely healed cuts that remained bandaged tight. As the familiar crimson began to seep through into sight once again, MJ quickly but quietly fled from the group in search of the infirmary. Though many didn't notice due to the new found chaos, a single, steeley blue eye followed her escape inquizitively, only stopping once her skeletal frame was out of sight.

"I liked your mom's speech." The voice of Troy Otto had become strangely familiar to Marie, his false charm sickeningy sweet. Like when you have too much of a good thing. Only there was nothing good about him.

"She's not my mother." Marie spat, whipping around to face the much taller boy. She wasn't intimidated by his close proximity or the fact that they were alone, he was there to play a game and she knew that.

Ignoring her words, troy continued. "I liked how she said his name...Travis. It makes him matter, makes him real." MJ couldn't help but lunge forward, aiming for the boy's face, specifically his wounded eye, before her uninjured arm was snatched up in a forceful hold. "Easy tiger." His smile was nothing short of sadistic as he stared down at the now motionless nineteen year old. He had all the power in this situation, that fact was clear to them both. "Tell me MJ, what did you do in the old world?"

"Why do you care?" Troy gave her wrist a tight squeeze, wishing to satisfy his curiosity. "I'd just finsihed high school, wanted to be a med student like my mom. What about you?" She wasn't interested in the slightest, only wanting the attention to be off herself and to be rid of the one eyed boy as soon as possible.

Troy Otto had not attended a traditional high school and MJ wasn't surprised. In no way way the man stupid, quite the opposite in face. He was very analytical, his main strength, but he lacked many social skills, was egotistical and had murderous intentions, he wasn't like very mnay people. Maybe that was part of his charm.

Silence fell between the two, it was uncomfrtable and awkward yet Troy didn't seem to mind. His unoccupied hand reached up to brush away the hair that had fallen over MJ's teary eyes. She was angry, infuriated that she had allowed two to get her into such a vulnerable position - well aware that he had bested her on this occasion. "You know, you clean up nicely." He commented, rubbing his fingertips roughly against the exposed skin of her face and neck. His eye fixed to a particular spot on her cheek. He licked his thumb, slowly bringing it to her face. "You missed a spot." He cut through the path of dirt on her cheek, revealing the olive tones beneath it. Marie swallowed thickly, allowing Troy to have his way with her. The boy inspected her face with his single, ever observant eye. He took his time, examining every inch of her beautifully unique features before finally taking a step back.

MJ's wrist was released and, with nothing more than a false smile, Troy left. Her glazed eyes flickered across the small cabin as hot tears began to roll down her blushin cheeks. Frustrated, she brushed them away but to no avail. An outpouring of emotion began, not letting up as MJ struggled to find her breath. Slowly, she sank to the floor, back pressed against the harsh wooden wall of the cabin. Sobs of sorrow were all that could be heard as J tried deserately to cover the noises coming from her mouth. She had never felt so vulnerable, so isolated yet so suffocated at the same time. She hated it.

A beam of light suddenly illuminated the cabin. Thick and steady it came from the doorway, only breaking once someone had entered and closed the door behind them.

It was Madison Clark.

The blonde did not hesitate to rush to Marie's side, cradling the nineteen year old in her arms as any mother would. Neither of them spoke, they didn't have to. One had lost their husband while the other had lost their father.

Grief was funny: an overwhelming sadness that bought people together even in the strangest of circumstances, whil for others it tore them apart.

"He dangerous. We need to get rid of him." Maddie nodded in agreement, the nineteen year old voicing the very same opinion she held herself.

"We will MJ, we will." The brunette placed a heavy head upon Madison's shoulder. A simple action that was exactly what MJ needed in that moment: comfort.

ʟᴀᴛᴇʀs ʙᴀʙʏ

ʟᴀᴛᴇʀs ʙᴀʙʏ.