His Return

We armed ourselves and got ready for any oncoming threat. The White Wizard was coming. And he is powerful, he managed to ensnare the whole of Rohan.

"Do not let him speak." Aragorn whispered. "He will put a spell on us." He slowly drew out his sword, Legolas stroked the top of his arrows, readying himself. I slowly drew out my twin knives. If we are to go down, we shall go down fighting!

"We must be quick." Aragorn told us, then he counted down from three. At one, we all turned around and attacked. The white light was blinding at first, but my eyes adapted and I went to launch at the figure. However, before I could, my twin swords became burning hot and I was forced to drop them. The figure had deflected all of Legolas' arrows and Aragorn had also been forced to drop his sword. I decided a new course of action. I summoned all my strength and used my powers to create a whirling wind around my body. The trees began to violently sway, Aragorn, legolas and Gimli were fighting to stay on their feet. The figure was unaffected.

"There is no need for that." He said in a low voice. "You are tracking the footsteps of two young hobbits." He stated.

"Where are they?" Aragorn bellowed over the roaring wind.

"They passed this way," the figure said. "The day before yesterday." He finished. The voice was familiar now. Wait... It cannot be! I abruptly stopped the wind and the atmosphere became calm and stuffy once again, like the wind had never been there. "Does that comfort you?" No, it's not real. It can't be him!

"Who are you?" Aragorn asked.

"Aragorn..." I started.

"Show yourself!" He demanded. The white light lessened in intensity. And he stepped out.

The company stood in shock and awe. For we were standing upon a sight I thought we would never ever see again.

"It cannot be." Aragorn whispered. He began to kneel from shock or respect. Or both.

"Forgive me." Legolas said whilst also kneeling. "I mistook you for Saruman."

"I am Saruman... Or rather Saruman as he should have been."

I bowed my head. I must be dreaming. He isn't back. This is all just a trick. A single tear escaped my eye. My oldest friend was gone. The wizard who saved me from barad dur was not coming back. This isn't real.

"You fell." Aragorn said, disbelieved.

"Through fire and water..."

I did not need to listen to this. This person is an imposter. No, Gandalf was gone. I did not need to be filled with lies. How had the company fell for this? It could just be Saruman in disguise. I won't fall for it. I won't listen... I won't listen... I won't listen!

"...until my task is done."

"Gandalf." Aragorn said with a small smile. I still had my head low.

"Gandalf? Yes. That was what they used to call me. Gandalf the Grey. That was my name." I had yet to look fully at the imposter. I can't look at something that no longer exists. I was only just managing with the loss of my dearest friend, and now this.

"Gandalf!" Gimli confirmed with a chuckle.

"I am Gandalf the White. And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide." He paused for a moment. "Raina? Is that you?" I didn't look up. I couldn't. It can't be. But what if it is? But it's impossible...

I raised my head slowly. I was met with the friendly face of my old friend. It couldn't be. Then I did what anyone would do to seek the truth. I looked deep into his eyes. They held so much memory. He kept my gaze. I then searched through his mind for anything to do with my friend, my savior, my Gandalf.

Flashes of images came at a blur.

Gandalf at my campsite being treated when he informed me of the meeting. Gandalf and myself racing horses when I was younger and we laughed and smiled all day. The time Gandalf forced me to dance with him in the middle of a tavern. Gandalf comforting me like a father when Kili died and I was stood by his tomb. And then the last image flashed up. Gandalf falling in Moria, his gaze piercing mine.

I was abruptly pulled from my vision to see Gandalf had that same expression written on his face. I didn't say a word. I ran to him. Using my super speed, I was clinging on to his cloak in the blink of an eye. He hugged me in return, smiling down fondly like a father.

AN: small chapter compared to my others, I know. But I'm building up to something big!! Also, next chapter there will be a new character I created!!

I want to thank everyone who had voted and commented. You are the reason I don't procrastinate! :D no but seriously THANK YOU!!!

This story has over 2 thousand reads now. I cannot believe it!! I mean literally, I opened my wattpad and cried a little. Ok that's a lie. A lot! You all make me sooo happy! You all get an internet giraffe!

Thank you for reading.

Lollylom <3