III ~ Mysterious Symbol

(Grian POV)

There was no immediate reaction in chat. Nobody said anything about some stranger joining their world. It was almost like they couldn't see the message...
I quickly dismissed that thought; they probably just didn't look at their communications immediately.

What was really weird, Taurtis wasn't saying anything. He would be the type to freak out over something like this. Did his communicator not work there or what?

As I went over all the possible scenarios in my head, it suddenly occurred to me that Xisuma was standing right there. Fortunately for me, the reaction I showed was close enough to the reaction X was expecting, as he didn't show any sign of questioning my behavior. I would recognize that particular face, as he questions my behavior daily.

*ding*

I look down at my communicator, thinking that someone finally saw the message.

(GoodTimesWithScar) Was there always a symbol-thing on Spawn Island?
(Mumbo Jumbo) What does it look like?
(GoodTimesWithScar) A nether portal, but the blocks connecting 2 of the corners that are diagonal of each other are missing.

Did I read that right? No, it can't be. Why would they come here? There is no reason for-

*ding*

(Docm77) Anything else?
(GoodTimesWithScar) It's surrounded by sandstone, with a trim of cobble
stairs.

Forgetting about everything else, I rush over to the Players Hub, immediately jumping straight through the Hermitcraft portal. Reappearing back at my mansion, I dig through the chest monster outside, looking for some rockets. After what seemed like ages, I finally pull out two stacks of rockets, and spam them as fast as I possibly can, to get to spawn.

Realizing I probably should have gone through the Nether, I dive into Mumbo's base and race through the Nether portal. Flying through the sickly Nether air, I quickly spot the Nether Hub. Swiftly flying through the Shopping District portal, I turn around and head to Spawn Island.

Scar was right. At spawn, the exact description of the symbol surrounded by sandstone and cobble stairs greet me. Doc is also there, as he is giving me quite a weird look, probably concerning the urgency on my face.

Once I had caught my breath, I examine the scene. Scar is standing awkwardly to my left, with Doc on my right. Mumbo had just arrived, landing directly behind me. Not long after, X appears in front of all of us. The look on his face as he saw the symbol gave me an uneasy feeling. It was a look of true hatred, raging anger, with a hint of misery. I can't let him know what I am. Not now, not ever.

I go back to staring at the symbol, in all it's glory. This symbol brought back the memories I wish I could have forgotten, the memories I forgave them for, the memories that haunt my nightmares. The guilt of leaving my friends, the hope of seeing Taurtis after he had left, the feeling of watching all your hard work, and most of your friends, crash and burn, literally crash and burn.

Those emotions I bottled up inside of me, even after I forgave them. Forgive and forget, right? How could I ever forget this. Thankfully, none of these emotions had made their way up to the surface. Yet...

Resurfacing from my train of thought, the group was discussing why the symbol was here. X brought up something about Taurtis, which led to everyone checking their communicators to see the message they missed. After a lot of discussing, which I didn't pay too much attention to, X suddenly asked,

"Grian, do you have anything to say?"

He must have realized how quiet I have been throughout this meeting. I probably should have said something, but in the heat of the moment, I simply just shook my head. Anything I could have said would've brought up too many unwanted questions.

The rest of the group gave me some weird looks, of which I ignored. X then started discussing where Taurtis might be. My first guess would be running around in circles, although that really wouldn't be much help.

Before we all left, X decided to assign each of us jobs. Himself, Doc, and Mumbo would be looking into the symbol, whilst Scar and I would search for Taurtis. X told us to start searching through the shopping district, then check over at Impulse and Zedaph's bases. According to him, Taurtis shouldn't have gotten too far.

Once the group had split up, Scar had asked,

"Why were you so quiet? It's so out of character for you."

"I- uh- didn't really have much to say."

"Oh."

The search for Taurtis wasn't really successful. He was not in the shopping district, nor at Impulse or Zedaph's bases. The sheer amount of time it took us to search the shopping district alone could have given Taurtis enough time to get pretty far away.

As we flew back to X's base, where the rest of the group was researching, Scar told me something I could never have expected him to say.

"I actually knew Taurtis at one point."

"You did?"

"Yeah, although we did lose contact when he joined his friends server."

"Oh. Do you know who that friend was?"

"He never told me their name."

"Really?"

"All he said was, 'You'll get to meet him one day, I'll make sure of it.'"

"Oh."

If only Scar had realized he was taking to said friend right now.