New Life

"I think I'm falling in love with you."
"Always."
"I would never-"
"If I ever court someone, it is going to be you, Sophie."
"And I cannot wait to do it."
"That, Sophie, is supposed to bring about peace."
"You have a charm around that."
"It's going to be hard with you staring at me like that."
"You'll always be with me."
"Sophie!"

"Sophie! Sophie!" I felt someone shake my shoulders as the most important person in my life started to fade away from my eyes. "Sophie, wake up!" The voice shouted silently.

I sat up straight and gasped, my eyes hurting and stinging with pain. "What?" I looked around and saw a gray cardigan in front of me as the sleep started to clear.

 "What?" I looked around and saw a gray cardigan in front of me as the sleep started to clear

"You were sobbing in your sleep again." Lucy told me as she sat down in front of me.

"Oh, Lucy!" I buried my face in my hands. "I'm so-" I was shaking. My hands trembled as they touched my face. I needed to go through my process for anxiety. I had to take a control over my emotions and feelings.

"You don't have to apologise." She gave me a one-arm hug to cheer me up a bit. "Are you ready to talk more about it? Believe me. You'll feel better once you do."

"I'll continue later in the afternoon. Mrs. Scrubb will want my help now." I said as I stood up and started to fold the bed sheet. My legs stumbled when I thought about my dream. I shook the thought from my head. Too many thoughts at a moment wouldn't be right for me.

"You do know that you don't have to sleep on the floor, right? I really don't want you to feel cold."

"I like it." I answered. "It makes me feel safe somehow." After everything that had happened in the last two years, I couldn't sleep on a soft surface.

Lucy nodded, clearly not convinced by my answer. "But just know that the left side of the bed is always open." She smiled politely.

"Thank you. I'll keep that in mind."

After I had a bath and got dressed, I rushed to the kitchen to help Mrs. Scrubb with her daily chores. I kept to my word about helping around in the house. "Please heat up the water for me, will you?"

"Of course." I said as I got the pot ready.

"I've asked Edmund and Lucy to go to the market in a few minutes." She informed me as she started to wash the vegetable tray.

"Can I accompany them? It's been a while since I went out."

"Of course, dear. I was going to suggest that as well. It will do you some good. You spend all your time helping me." She laughed.

"I don't know how to repay your kindness and-"

"It's completely fine, dear. Like Harold said before, we love helping people."

Right then, Eustace entered the kitchen. "Good morning, Eustace." I wished him but he was dumbstruck as he always was when I tried to talk with him.

Eustace never really talked to me but the one time that he did do it, he became emotional. That's when I realised that he wasn't a mean person at all. He was putting on a face and preferred to push people away because he didn't know how they would treat him. He reminded me of myself sometimes, although I didn't tell him that.

"We are leaving for the market." Edmund informed his Aunt from the hallway.

"Sophie will be accompanying you." She told him.

"Shall we?" He asked me, looking eager to leave the house as soon as possible. There was a bulge in the left-side coat pocket, which made me suspicious of his true plans.

"Let's go." I said.

Lucy, Edmund and I walked to the farmer's market a few streets away. They had the best produce and made a good bargain for everything. "I'll be right back." He informed us after we got busy with the purchasing.

"Where are you going?"

"Don't worry." He replied before hurrying through the crowd.

"Ed!" Lucy shouted for him but he wasn't going to listen. "He's always like this." She mumbled.

"He is a nice guy though."

"He tries to redeem himself after what happened with Jadis." Lucy asserted, confirming what I already had in mind.

"Does he realise that he doesn't have to blame himself for everything? He is such a meathead

"Does he realise that he doesn't have to blame himself for everything? He is such a meathead."

She laughed. "He can be such a martyr sometimes." She corrected me, knowing that I was from a different era. "He used to annoy me all the time when we were ruling Narnia." She smiled quietly to herself, remembering the good old memories.

"Brothers are supposed to be like that. I've always wanted one." I said it out loud for the first time.

I didn't really have anyone that I could call my own but I made my own family along the way - Cassie, Melody, Mr. Ward and....no. It hurt to think about them and I had told myself not to talk about them unless I had to.

"You have a brother now." She put her arm through mine as we moved on to the next shop. "You have two, in fact. Peter included."

High King Peter was studying at Professor Kirke's house in the countryside of England. The four Pevensies were sent there during the time of war and that was where their beautiful journey began where they created history.

I had talked with both Peter and Susan through letters. Lucy couldn't help herself while writing about me and told them everything that I had told her and Edmund. The elder Pevensies were more than happy to mention me in their letters that they sent once in a while. I was very grateful to all of them.

Peter asked me questions about the recent administrations in Narnia and wanted to know if everything was alright there. He also inquired about Caspian, Reepicheep and Trumpkin.

Susan asked me if Caspian was happy and if she was right in wanting to court someone from the navy. She didn't have many friends and confided in me. I was really surprised that she did so because she knew about mine and Caspian's engagement - well, almost one. But we got along very well even though we only knew each other through letters.

"You are the best blessing that I've ever got."

I could see that Lucy wanted to hug me but the crowd was increasing as the seconds passed by and we knew that we had to concentrate on getting everything that we needed. "Do we have everything?" She asked me.

"Yes, we do." I affirmed after going twice through the list. "Where is Edmund?" I wondered as I looked around for the newsboy hat that he was wearing.

"I think I know." She claimed, looking at a military officer walking out of a building.

"Oh no, not again."

"Nobody can change him." She answered and we walked over to the building where boys were giving names to join the army.