ᵒ⁶. ᵗʷᵒ ˢⁱᵈᵉˢ.

༉˚*ೃ ᵒ⁶. 𝐓𝐖𝐎 𝐒𝐈𝐃𝐄𝐒!

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐕𝐈𝐋𝐋𝐀𝐆𝐄 𝐖𝐀𝐒 alight. Licks of flame ran up the side of buildings and smoke clung heavy in the air, small embers spiralling up towards the sky in the familiar sounds of sizzles and cracks, as Luli and Suki ran down the sharp hillside towards it, small stones skittering and sliding out from under their feet. Luli had her hand out to her side to minimize her slipping, but Suki ran full-force, not bothering to worry about taking a fall. Her arms were pumping, painted face twisted with worry and fierce intensity. Luli would not have wanted to come between her in that moment.

          Luli could smell the smoke. She didn't think she could ever forget that smell. When they skidded down onto the dirt path of the village, half tripping, the small town was being rampaged by furious komodo rhinos and their Fire Nation riders—the soldiers wearing deep red armour and helmets with masks akin to skulls. So these soldiers were under high-command. Likely from the Royal Palace itself. Luli cursed on every spirit she knew as she dove after Suki, through the crowd of fleeing townsfolk, pushing past them in her Kyoshi uniform.

          In the centre of the village, Suki's Kyoshi Warriors had already engaged in a fight. Flame sprung from the hands of the soldiers, forcing the warriors back. For just half-a-second, Luli saw red. That firebending anger still inside her. Suki sprinted ahead of her, and Luli followed in close behind. Some of the injured Kyoshi Warriors fell back at their presence, relishing the idea of backup. There it was, a Fire Nation soldier sent a burst of hot, orange fire towards her. It glowed in the early evening air, as Luli planted her feet and used Suki's training to knock the flame away with the ribs of a single tessen, deflecting the fire to the side. Immediately, Luli brought both iron fans back up in the defense stance Suki had taught her, amber eyes glinting behind them.

          She dashed forward as the rider took out a spear, striking at her. Precise and steady, she recalled, and caught the soldier's spear between the fan's sticks, twisting it sharply out of his grip with a kick to the shaft. Holy shit. She did it.

          Meanwhile, Suki charged straight towards the soldier at the front of the komodo rhino formation, whose back was turned away from Luli, her tessen flared in her hands. Take out the leader, and the rest of the army falls. One of her iron fans flung from her hand, aimed directly towards his face in a hit that would surely incapacitate him. The commander ducked to the side. Therefore, Suki's tessen caught on the metal prongs of the stupid-looking Fire Nation helmet and yanked it off his head. Maybe that was Suki's intention the entire time—the soldier now open to head attacks.