Chapter four: the reaping

*Two months later*

Katniss woke up screaming which woke up peeta. She looked at him and he pulled her into a hug. "Same nightmare?" She noded. "Peeta, I'm scared." She whispered and he sighed. "You'll be ok." She rested her hand on her stomach with a sigh. She felt the baby start kicking and she let out a sigh of relief. 

Peeta smiled and set his hand with hers. She started kicking a lot which caused them to laugh. "She loves her daddy." Katniss said softly. Peeta didn't reply, "what time is it?" Katniss asked. "About 7." She noded. "I'm goona take a shower." She mumbled and forced herself out of bed and into the bath room.

Peeta walked downstairs and made some eggs and toast, he would have added bacon and his blueberry muffins but lately those have made katniss' morning sickness go crazy. He heard footsteps and looked up to see katniss walking into the room. 

He sighed, "you look beautiful." She smiled softly. "Thanks. Your hot." He chuckled and kissed he before they sat down. They ate slowly and when they finsihed katniss sighed. Peeta and katniss got up and he hugged her. She smiled softly, "don't worry." He whispered and in her ear. 

Peeta went upstairs to take a shower and katniss sat on the couch. She started to read a book untill peeta came back and the horn blew. They sighed and katniss put on her jacket to help hid her baby bump. They walked outside and four peace keepers suronded them and haymitch. 

They walked on stage and Effie walked up sorrowfuly. She looked at katniss with a painful look. "As always ladies first." She grabbed the paper and read the name. "Katniss everdeen." She was fighting off the tears that kept flooding her eyes and everyone could tell. Nobdoy relized how close the four got over the past year untill now. 

"And now for the men." She grabbed one of two names and her face drownd in horrer. Weather she wanted to admit it or not she had fallen at least some what in love with haymitch. "Haymitch Abernathy." She said her voice just above a whisper. Katniss face turned to horrer as she looked at the boys. 

"I volunteer!" Haymitch grabbed peetas arm. "I can't let you do that." "You can't stop me." "Peeta." "Let go." He let him how and he walked over to katniss and Effie. "This year's tribuets from district 12, katniss everdeen and peeta mellark." Nobody was happy, peace keepers grabbed them and took them to the trian.

Katniss sat down in the dinning car and peeta say with her. "Hey." She looked at him. "Peeta." She said softly but her voice broke and tears came to her eyes. Haymitch and effie sat listing to them in sorrow. Haymitch had told Effie about the pregnancy since katniss was to upset to do it. He hugged her as she satrted crying, the trian may have cameras for president snow to watch, they werent sure though. 

"Shhhh, Kat, it's going to be fine. We did it last year." She sighed. "But they won't make that mistake again, we both know only one will come out." Peeta sighed as she got up and left the room. "let me talk to her." They noded and Effie went after her. 

She found Katniss sitting in her and peetas bed. She had one hand on her stomach and the other playing with her mockingjay pin in her hand. She sat down and katniss looked up. "I'm sorry, I really am." Katniss noded softly. "I know you don't believe peeta, so I won't say what he has. He doesn't understand what your feeling." 

Effie let a tear fall from her eye and katniss was confused. "Katniss you and the baby deserve so much better. I'm very sorry!" Katniss hugged her but didn't repsond. "If you ever need anything I'm here, peeta may try to butt in but, if you need anything don't go to an avox, haymitch or peeta. Come to me, ok?" Katniss noded confused and Effie left the room. 

Katniss knew she meant to go to her about the pregnancy but she didn't understand why. Katniss layed down and closed her eyes. It was getting late anyway and she knew peeta would be in soon. And she was right, after a few minutes peeta came in and layed down with her. They didn't talk though, they just layed in silence untill peeta fell asleep and katniss listed to his soft snore.

It calmed her a bit but she still couldn't sleep. She tryed everything, but her mind kept woundering to Effie. The way she acted about coming to her, it was as if she had some it before but it was to painful to talk about. It hunted katniss, she heard crying in the dinning car which confused her. She walked out of her room and to the dinning car. And she was shocked.

Effie was in normal clothes, nothing representing the capital, and she was looking at a picture of a three year old boy. She was crying as she looked at it. "I'm sorry sweetie, mommy loved you so much." She said softly and katniss was completely shocked. "I love you baby boy." Effie said softly as she looked out the window at the sky.