Where Do I Start

MATTIA'S POV:

I watched Liv walk down the stairs with Alejandro, it was almost as if she slowed time. Her dress was floor length and she had a new hairstyle. It was shorter, yet still bought out her most eye catching features.

"Are you done staring?"

I looked back at Maria who was looking at me with her arms folded across her chest. I ignored her, turning back to Liv who I'd now lost.

"Fuck" I sighed impatiently, looking around the room. You'd think spending a year apart from her would be long enough to move on. But Liv had that effect on me, she left a mark that never went away.

"Mattia?" repeated Maria, tapping my shoulder. I shook her off, looking at her in disgust.

"We're not even married!" I said loudly, causing her to jump slightly. She looked around cautiously, hoping no one had heard us but I couldn't care less after Olivia walked in the way she did. Whatever had been between us a year ago, it was all coming back.

"You don't have to say it so loudly" she said, her eyes still darting around the room.

"Leave me alone" I said, walking away from her and somewhere into the crowd. I picked up a glass of champagne from the tray a waiter was holding as I got further from Maria.

We never got married. I never got the chance to tell Liv since she stormed out my life. But now I had a chance and I was tired of lying to her. Things were already bad enough between us, I wasn't trying to spend another year sleeping alone. I felt a hand tap my shoulder and took a sharp intake of breath before turning around to see Alejandro. He smiled at me warmly, extending his hand out.

"It's been a while" he said. I smiled and shook his hand firmly, relieved that he wouldn't be bitter with me. This evening was already proving difficult enough.

"You look well" I said. He shrugged, looking over his shoulder. I followed his eyes to Olivia who was speaking with other people.

"And you chose Maria over her" he mumbled, sipping his drink.

"No I didn't" I insisted "we never got married, I couldn't do that to Olivia"

"What?" Alejandro said a little too loudly, inviting a few eyes onto us "then why the fuck is she with you tonight? Why the fuck did you let me leave?"

I opened my mouth to explain but saw Olivia walking in our direction.

"Let's not cause a scene?" she said to Alejandro. She didn't bat an eyelid at me. I gave her a small wave, she hesitated at first but then looked over at me. She looked at me in a way which I couldn't tell if she wanted to kill me or sleep with me.

"Can we talk?" I asked, wincing for her response. I looked at Alejandro who was annoyed with me too.

"Fine" she said, turning and walking towards the bar without saying anything else. I breathed a sigh of relief before turning to Alejandro.

"I'll explain everything, I swear" I said, running after Liv.

OLIVIA'S POV:

I sat across him at the bar, ordering myself a martini as I waited for him to join me. I watched as he made his way through the crowd, he always stood out from everyone else.

Maybe that's why I was foolish enough to fall for him in the first place.

"Should I order us drinks?" he asked. I stayed quiet as the waiter placed my glass in front of me. A small smirk spread across my face while Mattia became flustered, trying to figure out what to say next. I waited for him to speak and raised the glass to my lips, not letting my eyes leave him.

"I see you already..." his voice trailed off and he quickly cleared his throat. I placed the glass on the table, taking a slow breath. I was just as nervous as he was, I just hid those kind of feelings a lot better.

"Was I always this good at leaving you this speechless?" I asked, watching him narrow his eyes at me.

"Maybe that's the reason I left Maria at the altar" he shot back. My mouth slightly dropped open as my eyes travelled to his left hand. There were rings, but his ring finger was completely bare. I tried to disguise my shock but he'd really outdone himself.

"Why wouldn't you tell me sooner?" I said, downing the rest of my drink.

"Cause you shut me out" he said, looking at the ground. Guilt hit me as I realised he was completely right. The same evening I saw the marriage license, I'd cut him off completely. It was my mistake.

"I don't wanna have this conversation right now" I said, becoming uncomfortable as I spotted Giancomo in the crowd.

"Then let's go somewhere else, but we are having this conversation" said Mattia. His voice was firm and as much as I wanted an explanation, I didn't feel like having it in a room where my life was on the line.

"Can't it wait?" I asked, my fingers circling the rim of the glass as Mattia shook his head.

"You're the reason I didn't marry her" he said "how could I be expected to move on after I practically broke you? I hate myself for what I did to you, Liv"

His words gave me heartache, he was always so honest. Sometimes it was a curse.

"I thought you were doing it for the mafia" I said, ordering another drink since it seemed like I wasn't leaving anytime soon.

"It was all for you, everything I've done this past year, it was for you" he said.

"What the fuck are you talking about? You did what for me? None of this is making any sense" I said, becoming annoyed. I looked over my shoulder to see Maria angrily walking towards us. I rolled my eyes and picked up my drink, I was starting to think this conversation was a bad idea after all.

"Liv wait-"

"Go disappoint the next bitch, I'm busy"

A/N: y'all this chapter ends with "go disappoint the next bitch, I'm busy" but for some people the writing ends earlier, is this a problem for all of you? If so, lmk and I'll republish the chapter 💕