Number 14

Number 14

Harry found the Winter Soldier sitting on his bed in the middle of the night when he woke up. In the Gryffindor fifth year boys’ dormitory. At Hogwarts.

“What?” Harry managed to say while he frantically blinked his eyes to make the image before him go away. No such luck.

“Volunteered to check up on you,” Bucky whispered while crouching on the foot of Harry’s bed, the curtains hiding him from view from the rest of the boys sleeping around them. He quietly handed Harry a box of chocolate-covered Oreos. On auto-pilot, Harry accepted them.

“What?” Harry said again, because…what was happening?

Bucky reached inside his leather jacket that was lined with knives and…was that a gun? Were those two guns, no, three? He pulled out an amulet that Harry could barely make out in the darkness. “Your mother made these so we can see all the wizarding stuff.”

His mother. Of course. Harry should have known. For all that his mother apparently wanted to kill everyone in the world at all times, when it came to Harry he was a regular mother hen and had barely let him return to Hogwarts at all. And now he’d sent spies to check up on him.

Harry supposed he should be grateful it was Bucky who volunteered. If Natasha had shown up, Harry would have never seen her coming. She’d have returned to report all of Harry’s carefully kept secrets to his mother before Harry would even know she was there.

“Tell him I’m fine,” Harry said, subconsciously sliding his wounded hand under the covers.

Apparently, those weird Nazis that had brainwashed Bucky for decades had also given him excellent night vision because before he knew what was happening, Harry felt metal fingers gently close around his wrist.

“Who did this?” Bucky demanded, carefully looking Harry’s hand over. The words Umbridge made him carve into his hand over and over were barely visible but the wound still stung.

“Nobody,” Harry said quickly. Too quickly. But truth was, Harry didn’t want The Avengers bearing down on Hogwarts with all their might. He was genuinely concerned there wouldn’t be a castle left standing after his father was done exacting vengeance in the name of his son. Never mind what the Hulk would do if he were ever to get involved.

Bucky frowned at him for a few seconds before apparently making up his mind. “I’m telling your mother.” And with that, Bucky hopped off the bed and disappeared into the darkness. Harry barely heard the door open and close.

“No, wait!” Harry called after him, trying to untangle himself from his blankets. He threw himself out of bed, tripped over his trunk and fell face-first on the floor.

“Bwah?” Ron said from the bed beside him.

Harry didn’t even bother raising his head from the floor. They were fucked. They were all incredibly fucked.

Loki was coming to Hogwarts.