09

Wren lays beside Carlisle, on top of his bed rather than on it - she isn't ready for that yet. It's been a few days and she's slowly getting used to the bombshell dropped on her by the man she very much loves. "So what about this Volturi lot? Who are they, where did they come from?"

Carlisle looks at the ceiling, as does Wren, as he answers. "I suppose you'd call them our government, in a way. They enforce many unspoken rules we all abide by, making sure we stay a secret. They're power hungry bigots who crave attention." He rolls his eyes. "We've crossed paths many times... The last few not so good."

"Because of Bella?" Wren asks. She figured Bella must've been human more recently than the others if her and Edward just married.

"Yes, because of Bella. Edward thought she had died once and, being the drama queen he is, he wanted to die with her. Aro didn't approve of that idea and instead offered Edward a place on the guard - he's spent his entire 3000 odd years building a collection of uniquely talented immortals and Edward fits something he hasn't got, as does Alice. He figured he'd get them somehow. With Renesmee being born, she was mistaken for an immortal child. These are children who are turned, frozen at the development they were - I'm sure you can imagine the chaos they caused. "

"Who on earth would change a child?!" Wren gasps, looking over at him.

He smiles sadly. "Desperate people who long for a child. It isn't something female vampires are capable of going through, the conception and pregnancy process. It became a way around for some, but they were untamable. The Volturi had to step in, there was no other option." He says gently. "The Denali sisters, remember them?" She nods. "Well, their creator, their mother, created one. She lost her life because of it and it was a turning point for the girls. They despise the Volturi, more so now Irina is gone because of them."

"They really do sound like assholes." She mutters, rolling over to face him. "Tell me more about your children."

He smiles, tucking a piece of her hair back gently. "So you know about Edward, Bella and Nessie, Emmett and Rose. I guess Jasper is next."

Wren smiles fondly. "He was so polite and charming."

"He's a boy of the South, he was raised to be. Jasper was just 17 when he joined the confederate army-"

"Ew..." Wren pulls a face.

Carlisle chuckles. "Yes, he isn't the same man. He didn't necessarily agree with their motives but he was a boy, he wanted to fight. By 19 he was a major, he did well. He thought he was doing right. The poor boy was found by a woman who was creating an army - a different army to what Jasper was used to. She was creating newborn vampires because they are stronger than ever during the first year or so, fresh from transitioning. He has a unique gift, like many of my children - he is an empath."

"He can make you feel things?" Wren asks curiously.

"Yes, in a sense. He's sensitive to emotions and things. He can calm an angry room or soothe a distressed human. His gift served Maria, his creator, well as he could calm the newborns. It was all for hunting territory, she needed the army to show her worth and her power. Jasper was.. He was left to deal with them once they past their use."

Wren frowns deeply, sitting up. "He dealt with them..? He must've felt everything..."

Carlisle nods, sitting up too. "He did. His past sure has changed his perspective of the world. He eventually grew tired of Maria, and she grew afraid of him, so he left. He found Alice a short while later and she had seen him coming. She was already on the vegetarian path as she had seen me and my coven, so she helped him. He's the one who still struggles. He feels all of our thirst all the time."