13

This chapter is short, a filler sort of. But I have another planned to be published soon!

-

It's been 3 years, 2 weeks and 4 days since Wren left Carlisle... 1113 days without her touch. 26'712 hours since his son turned up and said the simple words "She's gone". And every day, every hour and every minute, since then? He's questioned why.

Why did she leave? Though she left a note, it made no sense to him.

What did he do wrong? Did he force her into anything?

Where is she?

Is she safe?

And, most of all... Why is God doing this to him? Has he not proved himself yet? Are all the lives he's saved, all the good he's done, not enough to make up for what he is? Why must he suffer more?

He'd finally gotten true happiness. He had his family and his love and he needed nothing else, he wanted for nothing and never would again - even if he had a short time with Wren. He'd have done anything she wanted.

His family have been walking on eggs shells. He doesn't do much these days; he quit his job, he barely speaks to them. He spends most of his time in his office, looking at books or medical journals. He goes on the occasional hunt, nowhere near as often as he used to or needs to, and then he just goes back to reading - the poor delivery person has delivered countless boxes of books every few days for at least the last 6 months.

Jasper sets a box of new books down just in the doorway of his father's office. "Here, this came this morning. Just the one?" He teases lightly. He feels immense guilt for the role he played in this whole thing.

Carlisle looks up from his computer. "Yes." He simply says. Jasper sighs and begins closing the door. "Jasper?" Carlisle calls.

Jasper peaks around the door. "Yeah?"

"Any news on that newborn situation?" He asks in a monotonous voice.

Jasper leans in the doorway. "Uh, not much, no. Alice can't really see who it is, how many there is. In the week it's been on our radar, there's been 5 new murders along the boarder between here and Canada. Whoever it is, they've been left to wreak havoc."

Carlisle sits back. "Okay... Next time Alice has a vision, let me know. I think we should step in before the volturi do."

Jasper nods and smiles small - that's the most he's said to anyone in months. He closes the door and heads downstairs, the family all looking at him. He just shrugs. "You heard him. Let him know when Alice next has a vision."

They don't have to wait long; it's only hours later, midhunt, that Alice has a vision. Her eyes stare off into the dark night as the prey she pins down squirms, the poor elk trying to get free. The vision is foggy, unclear, but she can see a girl. Long brown hair, torn, blood stained clothes. It's her, she's the newborn. And she's in an area familiar to the family, a place they hunt right up in the very corner of Washington several hundred miles away.

The moment her and Jasper return home, they rush to their fathers office. "I saw her, the newborn. Well, her back. She's headed this way, we need to go."

Carlisle places his book down. "It's a her? Right. Let's go then." He says quietly. There isn't much else to it.

The trio head off, running in the direction Alice leads; she's choosing their path based off the visions that come fast and frequent. The surroundings become familiar and she recognises this is where the newborn will arrive. Carlisle, Jasper and herself all stand back to back, eyes scanning the forest as their ears search for any sign.

It's a moment before Carlisle points. "On the left." He whispers, all of them looking over.

Alice gasps as the next vision leaves her frozen. It... It can't be...

Just before she can warn her father, the vision of the girl stumbling into the clearing becomes reality. Carlisle frowns, feeling like he knows her even though he can only see her back.

And then she turns.

"Wren..." He whispers.