15

Emmett looks around the bar he's in, his eyes scanning the people. Alice sketched a picture of someone he may find of use but he can't see them here yet. He doesn't mind waiting. In a way, he doesn't want to go home empty handed, but another part of him can't bare to see his father lose his mate. The thought of him losing Rosalie was heartbreaking but for Carlisle to actually be facing it? Poor man.

"What can I get for you?" The flirty girl says behind the bar.

Emmett forces a smile, leaning on the counter. "You." He says, half serious. She smells devine. He's a stress eater, you see, and it's really hard to just push temptation aside right now.

"Oh honey, you got it." She winks.

Emmett licks his lips slowly, glancing across the bar as someone comes out from the back room. Oh shoot that's him. He walks away from the girl and over to the other end if the bar, the guy stiffening as he does. He raises an eyebrow.

He spins around, glaring. "Your kind aren't welcome here."

"My kind?" He says slowly, his eyes scanning his and his senses taking in his scent. "You're a hybrid." He whisper hisses, checking no one near by hears.

The guy quickly, trying to remain human-like, rushes out of the back, but Emmett easily catches him. Emmett shoves him against the wall of the alley. "What's the problem, huh?" He demands.

The guy glares. "Get your hands off me leech!"

"No no, we're the same you and I." Emmett smirks coldly. "Why are you running? What're you tryna hide? I haven't even told you why I came but you're squirming like a bitch."

The guy straightens up, trying to put on a tough front. "Nothing. I just don't like your kind - my mother died because she birthed me, half of me came from a jerk like you. I tend not to take kindly to your kind showing up."

Emmett laughs coldly, looking down at the boy. "Listen... You better tell me what you're hiding, buddy. I'm not going to play nice."

"What do you want!" He demands.

"My friend was bitten here and now she's sick. I want to know why." Emmett snaps.

The boys eyes flick to the end of the alley as he swallows hard. "Shouldn't she be like you? Or-or dead?"

"Yes, she should. You don't sound surprise, huh." Emmett grabs his jaw. "What. Aren't. You. Telling. Me."

The boy chokes, kicking as Emmett slowly lifts him by the throat slash jaw off the ground. His once golden eyes are now black, his shiny teeth showing as he snarls, any ounce of the playful bear everyone loves now gone.

"Emmett!" A voice warns.

He looks over, a bit surprised to see Kate and Garrett. "Stay out of this." He snaps.

"Not a chance. We've been sent to keep an eye on you." Kate says as she walks over. "Put the boy down. I have a better idea of how to get information from him."

-

Wren watches Carlisle read; he's so engrossed in research, he hasn't noticed her awake yet. He normally always notices. She gently sits up. "You'll get frown lines if you keep scowling." She says in a croaky voice.

He instantly closes his book and comes over, chuckling. "Hey you. Frown lines on this face? No chance." He sits on the couch with her.

She sits up a little and smiles, taking his hand. "What were you so intently reading, Mr Cullen?"

"Just some old legends." He tucks a piece of her hair back.

"And any luck?"

He smiles sadly. "No. But it's still early days. You hungry?"