Chapter 8: Her

Chapter 18: Her

Peter's POV

"And this is the courtyard. It's not much, but the flowers are nice," Eileen said.

There was a single tree in the middle of the courtyard with an iron bench beneath it.

"That tree has been here for awhile. I wish they would take it down though and add something more exciting." She said.

"I think it's nice."

"The tree? Why?"

"I - I don't know. I like simple things I suppose." I shrugged.

I don't know why, but I was starting to get nervous around her.

"So do you have any questions?" Eileen asked.

"About what?"

"Anything," she laughed.

I shook my head. She tucked the hair in her face behind her ear and smiled.

I pursed my lips and looked around. I could feel my face getting hot. Why was she looking at me like that?

"Well I'll see you around. Maybe we can get some coffee later?" Eileen said. She shook my hand and left.

There was something peculiar about her.

Anne's POV

The more I thought about Peter and that girl together made my stomach churn.

No, stop. Why do I even care? I stopped caring about Peter long ago so why am I suddenly envious of her? Was it her strange short haircut? I looked at myself in the small pocket mirror I brought along from the Annex. Maybe it's because she was older than me. She was taller than me too - the perfect height to kiss him. My heart started beating faster.

"Anne?"

I looked up. It was Peter.

"Um hi," I said. I stood up and straightened out my skirt, "how was the tour?"

"It was okay," he said. His face was flustered for some reason.

"Are you okay? Your face is all red." I asked.

"Oh um, yeah. It's nothing." He rubbed his cheek.

What were they doing? No, I shouldn't jump to conclusions. I mean he only just met her. How can someone become that interested in a person in such a short amount of time? What was it about her?