2: Off The Grid

*Disclaimer*

I know nothing about this area of the government and I'm only writing this based on what I have seen in movies and read in fiction and non-fiction books. Not all of this information is accurate. This is fictional writing.

*End of disclaimer*

August had been an off the grid agent for a little over 5 years when you first met him. Things were difficult at first because sometimes he would be gone for months on end. But he always told you when he was leaving. Even when he wasn't supposed to, he knew that he could trust you with anything. So you always knew when he was about to go off the grid. Typically people with this occupation tend to stay away from family life because of the danger and secrecy that comes with the job, but August couldn't help but keep you by his side. Keeping you a secret from his superiors and fellow agents. However, this time was different. He had told you that he finally retired and that he was done with that lifestyle. That he wanted to be at home with you and live a normal life. Even still, two months after he said that, August went off the grid without telling you, leaving you confused, hurt, and worried. For two years you lived without a word from August, and over that course of time, you concluded that he was gone for good and you moved on. Well, he wasn't quite ready to do that.

The Night Before August's Disappearance

I laid beside her as she ran her fingers through my hair. We had planned to go out for a walk downtown for date night but I just wanted to spend time with her here at home since I'll be leaving soon. She doesn't know, and I can't tell her. It's hurting me that I'll have to just leave without saying anything, but this is the most dangerous job I have done. One that I've been preparing for, for almost two months. Especially since y/n is involved, I cannot jeopardize her and the life I have with her, she's the only home I have, and I don't want to lose that. So no matter how much I dont want to do this, I have to.

"I'm so glad you're in my life," I told her as my eyes scanned her beautiful features.

"Why?" She asked, stars filling her eyes. No matter how many times I tell her, she loves when I tell her how much she means to me. And I'll never get tired of telling her.

"Because you're the light of my life. You make me happy to be alive. You're the only thing that matters to me in this world." She smiled and my heart stopped for the millionth time since we've been together.

I'm going to miss these nights. Just being with the other half of me, nothing and no one else but me and her.

"Y/n," She was beginning to drift to sleep but I needed to tell her once more what she means to me before the night is over.

"I love you no matter what. Nothing will ever change that. Ever. I will spend the rest of my life wanting and needing only you. You have to believe that." She smiled and brought her lips to mine.

I savored this feeling, knowing it would be a long while until I would feel it again. I wrapped my hand around her waist and squeezed lightly as I deepened the kiss.

"I love you," I told her as I pulled back.

She slowly drifted off again and an hour in I knew I had to get ready to go. I slowly slid out of the bed and slid on my jeans, a black turtle neck, and my black boots. I grabbed my backpack and slung it around my arms before grabbing my cap. I went back over to her side of the bed and placed a kiss on her cheek before caressing her face one more time.

"I'm so sorry. I'll come back to you." I watched her for a few more seconds before placing my cap on my head and walking out of the door. If I hadn't forced myself to leave right then, I would have never left at all.