05 • Dwindiling nightmare

Art by Onanotoko.

Kokichi stabbed the plastic, flimsy fork into the old potato slice. The scent of sweat filled the grime filled cafeteria, blood littering the black-chain circular table. The chairs were just circular rings around the table- they didn't have a back rest for Kokichi to lean back and rest.

Kokichi stared at the food on the orange tray.

Potatoes more dry then his eyes, peas as cold as the tundra. He wasn't even going to mention the stake- the outside was as black as the night, while the inside was as red as the colour itself. It was like that, every day.

Kokichi was skinnier then usual with this diet. He refused to touch the steak, and there wasn't much potatoes and peas on the tray. He was weak, and flimsy.

Just like his plastic fork that just broke just by piercing the potatoes skin.

Kokichi sighed, pushing the tray away from himself. He wasn't that hungry anyways. He was on the far table, away from everyone.

There were groups in this jail- they were like gangs.

And Kokichi was an outsider.

Everyday, he was lucky to receive a light beating from the other prisoners.

When the light beatings made his body scream and his flesh break, his blood spilling the ground with it.

The officers did nothing to help him, but stay by and watching them mercilessly smash their fists against his body, and stomp their boots against his empty stomach.

If Kokichi fought back, it would only grow worse.

So he had learnt to curl up and take the blows.

That's how the jail was. The weak ones were beaten mercilessly so they didn't forget their spot among them all. Kokichi wasn't the only victim.

Sometimes, he wished they would cut his ears off, so that he didn't hear the screams of the victims being attacked once more.

It was usually only one beating a day if he wasn't in the nurses office, being force feed poisonous slump they call food.

Kokichi refused to go outside. That's when they were most active. He would take the beating of the officers sticks then rocks and dumbbells.

Once the bell ringed out to end the cafeteria, Kokichi shot up. He could feel the eyes turning towards him as he shot away, a slight limp in his left foot as he twisted through the crowd. Kokichi was silent as he moved, shooting away to be transported by the officers to his cell.

Once he got there, Kokichi hurled to a stop. His gaze fearfully glancing behind himself to make sure no one was there, he glanced towards the officer.

His nickname was hawk amongst everyone.

He had the most god awful personality, and could snap just by the way you walk away from him. And, he was sensative with his long, pointed nose. If you didn't want to be beaten and tied up outside during the night, you did not mention his nose.

"Move it, wimp," Hawk hissed, slamming the back of his palm against Kokichi's head.

Kokichi simply frowned, his trembling, boney hands rising up to rub the back of his pounding head. He began to move, already knowing his way to his cell.

Once he got in there, Hawk shoved Kokichi into his cell, the boy stumbling on his footing, his body colliding with the cold stone.

"Fucking weak moron," the officer scoffed under his breath, slamming the door shut. The jingle of keys as he locked it, Hawks footsteps grew faint as he disappeared.

Kokichi didn't move from his spot on the floor. He felt safe in his cell. His breathing shaking as he curled into a ball, his dim, purple eyes stared at nothing.

He was glad.

He was glad his members— his family, didn't need to go through this too. He would take his sacrifice.

And Shuichi. He hated him. But he loved him. He still loved him. Each thought he remembered of the one who betrayed him cause an unbearable pain in his body.

One that he would rather be beaten a million times then feel.

The pain made his eyes water, and his lips tremble. He missed him.

He wanted him back. He didn't care. He wanted Shuichi back. He wanted to hold him, and hug him. He wanted to cling into him and never let go. He wanted to stare into his silver eyes, and never look away. He wanted to be drunk of off his kisses, and high of off his love.

But the only thing he got was the hug of the cold cell surrounding him. The stone was cold, yet calming against his blotched bruises on his body.

Kokichi shut his eyes and hugged himself tighter.

In his mind, his arms were curled around his beloved, and laughter instead of screams filled the air.