Chapter 5

Everyone in the table except for Soarin and me was quiet for two minutes.

It was the next school day, and I was having lunch with my friends. I told Soarin everything about Adagio and being forced to work for Octavia when we were in class during third period, and now the two of us watched as the rest of our group took in the news.

"Wwwoooooooooowwwwww," Pinkie Pie said in shock before giving me a teasing look. "You know, Rough Draft, if it weren't for the fact that Adagio is a manipulative meany and Octavia is Blueblood's girlfriend, I'd be teasing you really bad right about now."

Everyone turned to her, confused, and I asked, "You'd tease me? Why?"

"Think about it. Two days into school and a school hottie is chasing you while a rich guy is making you spend time with his girlfriend," Pinkie Pie explained. "If they were anyone else, I'd be like, 'Dang, Rough Draft. You sure you didn't break a few hearts back in Appleloosa? Cause you know to attract them.'"

Soarin thought about it and chuckled, saying, "That is kind of true. You would be looking like a total ladies man right about now if the circumstances were different."

It took a second before I finally understood what the two of them were saying and chuckled too.

"I guess it would look like my love life just sprung to life out of nowhere when you put that way," I said.

"Indeed. Next thing you know, all of us girls in our group should be watching out for you," Rarity teased with a giggle before her face fell and she said, "But all joking aside, Rough Draft, you are in quite a pickle or two, to say the least."

My amused smile fell, and I nodded as I said, "I know. I imagine you guys want to ridicule me for getting mixed up with Blueblood, Octavia, and the Dazzlings even when you warned me not to."

"No, we don't, Rough Draft," Rainbow Dash assured. "You did what you felt you had to at the Tasty Treat, and it's hardly a surprise that Blueblood decided to threaten you to do his bidding."

"And as much as I disapprove of lying, you're not wrong about Adagio not taking no for an answer," Applejack assured. "The only thing she understands is adoration, and she will try to claim it no matter what it takes."

"Eeyup," Big Mac said.

I smiled, glad that they aren't upset with me before I asked, "But what should I do if Adagio comes back and asks if I've been considering her suggestion or something?"

My friends looked at each other, unsure of how to answer until Caramel said, "Well, it's obvious, isn't it? Say that you've been busy assisting Octavia Melody too much to have time to consider her offer much less go see her perform at the Siren's Cafe."

"Caramel, what did I just say about lying?" Applejack rebuked.

"Hear me out, Applejack," Caramel said, holding his hand up for defense. "Since Rough Draft did convince Octavia Melody to take advantage of him being her assistant, he wouldn't be lying. He'd be working hard to obey her every command and be her friend when he's not at school. It's a lot of time dedicated to a girl that he wants to be around with. How is he going to be thinking about Adagio Dazzle worth anything when his focus is as far away from her as it should be?"

Fluttershy looked uneasy and said, "Um, Caramel, not that I want to step on your plan or anything, but, well, um..."

"You make it sound like we should be encouraging Rough Draft to chase a girl he has a crush on even though she has a boyfriend," Rarity finished for her best friend.