Chapter 8

The next day, I was staying at home playing video games again, but for Octavia, it was the day that Blueblood was going to be released from the hospital. The doctor called her to let her know that he was going to be sent home early afternoon, and she decided to come to the hospital and surprise Blueblood with joining him on the ambulance ride back to his house. Thus, she began walking from her house to the hospital, deciding not to ask me to be her escort because she thought I deserved a break, and it would be better if it was just her.

It was roughly ten minutes until one in the afternoon when Octavia entered the hospital. When she made it to the front desk, the person behind it told her that they were just minutes away from moving Blueblood. The gray girl wasted no time to get to the nearest elevator to go up to the floor, where her boyfriend's room was. She wondered how much Blueblood would be happy to see her as she got off the elevator and walked down to her destination. But as she got closer to Blueblood's room, she heard him yelling inside.

"I don't owe you a bloody thing!" He growled. "It's over! You were nothing but a distraction! An outlet! Now keep away from him as long as he's in my possession! Understand?!"

Octavia stopped just a few feet from the door as she overheard everything Blueblood was saying. She had never known him to be yelling like that before even at his worst, and his words left her confused, wondering who he was talking to. She heard Blueblood let out a grunt and a beeping from a phone, indicating that he just ended a phone call. She stayed still for a few seconds before she took a deep breath and forced a smile on her face before she entered the room to find Blueblood lying on the hospital bed looking irritated.

"Hello, dear," she greeted.

Blueblood turned to her, and his eyes widened like he was caught in the act of something.

"Octavia," he said. "What are you doing here?"

"I heard from the doctor that you are about to be released, so I decided to surprise you," Octavia answered before she placed her hand on top of Blueblood's head and kissed him on the lips. "I was hoping I could join you when they take you back home if that's alright."

"Uh, well, of course, it is, dearest," Blueblood said. "I wouldn't want it any other way."

Octavia smiled at her boyfriend, but at the same time, she wondered why he was reluctant to accept her offer. Usually, he would accept a request from her without hesitation, further displaying his devotion to her, but that moment of pause concerned her. Was he hiding something? Did he suddenly not love her? Was there something she did? Did it have something to do with who he was yelling at on the phone?

Noticing her edgy look, Blueblood cleared his throat and said, "I take it you heard me yelling on the phone?"

"Yes, I did," Octavia confirmed. "What was that all about?"

Blueblood hesitated again, making Octavia worried that she overstepped her bounds. She was about to say that he didn't have to answer her when Blueblood suddenly said, "It was work stuff."

"Work stuff?" Octavia asked, confused. "How on Earth was that work stuff?"

"It's complicated," Blueblood answered. "There's someone from another company who wants someone essential to my department, and I had just learned that they were trying to get him in my absence, so I called to tell them off."

Octavia looked at Blueblood disapprovingly and said, "That didn't sound like a mature way to act. I would think you handle things more professionally when you're at work. You are the heir to your father's company, after all."

"I do," Blueblood claimed. "That is, I am very professional when I'm at work. I just lost my cool because this person from a rival company is trying to take advantage of my injury. You can imagine the frustration behind something sinister like that, can't you, dear?"