Welcome Home

It was raining the day he went away. Before Keigo left for the mission, he told you he loved you and swore on his life that he would return to you, and then he gave you one of his feathers to wear as a necklace as a symbol of that promise. 

It has now been 10 months since he left. Keigo was able to send you a few letters during the beginning. The letters were sweet and he spoke of how he longed for you. He said that he couldn't wait for the day to come where he could burst through the door and take you into his loving arms. As time wore on, they became, even more, few and far in between till finally they just stopped. You were praying that Endeavor wouldn't come to the door and say that Keigo would not be coming home ever.

He missed celebrating your birthday, his birthday, and your wedding anniversary. There was a package left for you that was filled with your favorite things on your birthday; and on your wedding anniversary, there was a bottle of champagne and a bouquet of the flowers you used for your wedding. Keigo planned ahead so that you wouldn't feel forgotten. For a brief moment, you would feel as if Keigo was with you, but the gifts still didn't fill that void that only he could. 

You didn't really mind him missing significant events. The times you really did miss him was: when you heard a joke that you knew would have made him laugh or mad, when you were hungry for chicken, when you were having a stressful time doing your job, all the little things; but mostly, you missed him when you woke up in the mornings and saw his cold, empty bedside. What kept you sane during those 10 months were the letters that he sent you and the promise that he made you. 

One day, you were home, doing your work like normal, but couldn't concentrate on a single word you were writing or a brushstroke you were painting, because you were so worried about Keigo. The 10 months were up by now, he should have been back. You couldn't help all the negative thoughts and feelings that were overwhelming you. What if something happened? What if he got hurt? What if he's never coming home? You've finally had enough with all of the anxiety and decided to do something productive to get your mind off of things. 

You were doing the laundry, finally distracted from the loneliness of Keigo being gone. You were starting to feel happy, which it had been a while since you felt that way until you pulled out a piece of black cloth. It was his favorite, worn-out t-shirt, with faded, white letters that said 'flyboy' across the chest area. You hold it up, soaking in the sight of his shirt, remembering how long he's been gone. You start to tear up and put the shirt up to your nose, trying to see if his sweet scent was still there. 

"What are you doing?" a voice asked. Startled, you jolted and turned to face the door seeing your husband standing at the thresh-hold in his hero suit. You just froze, staring. He was here. After 10 months of being away, of living alone and hopelessly missing him. You weren't sure if you should scream for joy or cry. 

"Y/n?" Keigo asked, his concerned, golden eyes looking into your e/c orbs.

"You're home!" you scrambled from your spot on the floor and jumped to embrace your husband, wrapping your whole body around him, he wrapped his scarlet wings around the both of you in return, you were too scared to let him go. "Is this a dream?" you asked tearfully.

"No, baby bird. This is real. I kept my promise," Keigo whispered in your ear, rubbing your back as the feather around your neck returned to its owner.

"Yes, you did. You're home. You're really home," you cried into your man's shoulder.

"Shhhhhh, I'm home," he comforted you. 

"I missed you so much Keigo," you mumbled.

"I'm here," Keigo spoke gently.

After your lengthy embrace, Keigo put you down, still holding you, and he asked you again, "What were you up to?"

Blushing, you replied, "I-I couldn't concentrate on work because I was," you paused. "Because I was so worried. I was folding the laundry to distract myself when I came across your favorite t-shirt. I was trying to see if you're scent was still there because I missed you," you told him as you looked down at the floor. He tilted your chin up so that you would look into his beautiful, amber eyes.

"I missed you too baby bird, and I'm here to stay," he said then kissed you passionately on the lips. You ached for this moment, to be reunited with your beloved, to touch his strong arms under your fingers, feel his heart beating against your chest, kiss those warm lips that you craved for every night since he was gone. The only thing that caused you to break away from Keigo was you need for air.

"Now, hand me that t-shirt and some sweatpants, so that I can get changed and we can catch up," he said, trying he was walking towards your bedroom. You held his hand in yours, afraid to let go, too afraid to let him out of your sight. "I'll be right back baby bird. I'm not going anywhere. I just need to change," Keigo soothed your fears away, allowing you to release his hand. You give him his clothes, he shut the door to change, and you put away the rest of the laundry while you waited. 

                                                                                            ****** 

Later that evening, the two of you were snuggled on the couch, doing nothing but talking and talking the night way, with his arm over your shoulder. You were so happy to have your husband back home and nuzzled your head further into the crook of his neck. 

"It feels so good to be in your arms again," you said quietly.

"It feels good to have you in my arms again," Keigo smiled.

"I'm so happy that you're back. Promise me that you won't take another mission like that for a while," you asked, your e/c eyes begging him to stay.

"Not for a looooooooooooong while," Keigo swore, holding you closer to him. 

"But what if the agency needs you for something? " you giggled teasingly.

"I don't care. I need some time with my baby bird first. I am not leaving you alone for that long again. It hurt me to think of you being here all by yourself, having to carry on without me. You shouldn't have to do that," Keigo spoke, sadness in his voice. 

"As much as being without you hurt, I knew that you were doing your job. Fighting villains, helping your friends and all that stuff was to keep everyone safe. I'm just thankful that you came back to me alive and in one piece and that I married a man who is so selfless, brave, and caring," you said. Keigo rubbed your shoulders, laying his scruffy cheek on top of your head.

"How did I get so lucky to find someone like you to call my wife?" Keigo asked, smirking at the wonder you were.

"Well, you did ask me out after you literally crash-landed into me," you chuckled at the memory.

"Ah, that's right," Keigo snapped his fingers. "Not my most graceful moment, but I'd say I like how things turned out," Keigo winked.

"Me too," you sighed happily.