Bad vibes.

2014

Life never did really go back to the way it was after the battle of New York. But, just when I thought I had enough scares and excitement for a lifetime, I realized that this was only the beginning. (we're switching to 1st person because the narrator is old enough to portray the story herself)

------------------

Ever since the big battle, I decided that maybe helping run Stark Industries was a safer option. Pepper says I walked out of there "lucky" because I only broke an arm. She has no idea of the sleepless nights that I've endured ever since. 

Happy was promoted to Head of Security, which I have to admit, is pretty funny to watch. Pepper and I were walking in through the lobby when we saw Happy, looking pretty distressed. 

I was busy laughing while him and Pepper discussed the amount of complaints...they went up pretty high. Adults don't like to be told what to do, that's just facts. 

Pepper began to walk back to her office and I followed, she had been on edge lately, but I couldn't put my finger on why. 

"Potts?" I asked

"Yeah love, what's up?" She asked, not looking away from a stack of paperwork sitting on her desk. 

"You haven't been...Pepper today. You've been more like salt, honestly." 

She looked up and smiled. "Just dealing with an old co-worker....he used to like me" 

"Is he cute?" I asked. Not that it mattered, just gathering intel.

She out her hand on my head and just began laughing "Nah, but let's just keep this one between us, okay?" she asked. 

"You got it dude" I said, imitating Michelle from Full House. 

She didn't even have time to respond before the doors of her office flew open, revealing who I assume was Pepper's old friend.

"Pepper." The man said What the hell? She said he wasn't cute!? 

"Killian?" She sounded more surprised that anything, maybe he had a glow-up. 

"You look great, you look really great" Killian said, he wanted something.

"God...you look...you look great...I...I...I can't- what on Earth have you been doing?" Jesus she was bad at hiding emotion. 

"Nothing fancy, I just spent  years in the hands of a physical therapist. And please, call me Aldrich." Conclusion: he knew exactly what he was doing by complimenting Pepper and all.  I didn't like him already. 

I cleared my throat, making my presence known and trying to break up some very notable awkward tension. 

"Oh, didn't even see you there" He looked to me, holding his hand out to shake. 

"y/n Stark, likewise." I replied, trying to sound intimidating. Would that work? Probably not. 

Happy came in making sure everything was okay, which Pepper assured him it was. 

"How about you go help Happy with security badges?" She suggested. I was annoyed, but was also relieved. I got bad vibes from Killian. 

As soon as Happy shut the door behind me, I turned to Happy. 

"Two words: bad. vibes." I said, quietly. 

"The ex-boyfriend?" Happy asked at a normal tone. 

"Shhhh! But yes" I replied, spotting two unfamiliar agents staring me down. I know everyone here, I live here, who the hell are they?

Before I could take action, Happy showed the man his security badge, implying him to do the same. One of the agents held it up quickly and with a cocky tone said "Merry Christmas".

"Okay, yeah. Bad vibes. Let me handle it, don't do a thing until your dad gets back. Actually, just go upstairs. I'll keep my eye out." Happy whispered. 

"Thank you" I said and walked back up. I really did appreciate Happy. Other than my Dad, he was one of the only ones who took me 100% seriously. Pepper still was weary on treating me like a full grown adult, I don't blame her, but it does get frustrating. 

As soon as I was upstairs, I threw on some sweats and a t shirt and put on (y/f/m). That got boring, so I went to R&D. I wasn't the only one who wanted to work apparently, but this was no surprise. My Dad was always in the lab. 

"hey kid, how's everything going?" He asked, eyes not breaking away from his current project. 

"Weird." I replied simply. 

"Elaborate?" He asked. 

I was about to begin but I ws interrupted by an incoming call from Happy "Tony, Pepper's acting strange" 

I smacked my forehead. This wasn't supposed to reach my dad. That's on Pepper though, she told Happy. 

Happy filled my dad in all while I considered how Pepper what this guy actually wanted. 

Dad gave Happy some orders, I decided I would go find and help him out a little. Dad was too hyper focused to hold a conversation, something else was on his mid, he'd tell me later. 

I got back down to the lobby where Happy was still fussing at interns for the lack of badges. 

We walked around and found Pepper and Killian. He kissed her on the cheek...ew. And Pepper's face turned red. 

I managed to snap a picture of this weirdo's license plate before he drove off, earning a fist bump from Happy. 

---------------------------------------

After a few hours of doing nothing, I decided to go back to R&D and see if Dad was ready to talk. Instead, I was met with him and Pepper in a little disagreement. 

"Aldrich Killian? What are you checking up on me?" Pepper asked, sounding offended. 

"Happy was concerned." My Dad defended.

"No you're spying on me" She said, coldly. She looked over to me and I put my hands up in defense. 

"I didn't tell him" I said. 

"That's okay, I'm going to bed." She gave me a kiss on the cheek and walked out. 

"It's my fault! I'm sorry!" My dad yelled after her. 

Pepper stopped to turn around. 

They made up, which was cute. I liked seeing them when they were happy. 

"I'm going to shower." Pepper started, "and you're going to join me". 

"better" My dad said, lowering his head. 

I made a gagging motion. Nasty. This was not a thing I wanted to witness. 

"I'm going to bed. You guys are gross." I said, walking to my room. 

I went to my room and quickly realized that I wouldn't be sleeping tonight either. Yay.